1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best combo of egg laying/docility?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Snipes, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    A friend of mine wants to start having chickens, and she was thinking Rhode Island Reds and White/Red leghorns (I'm not sure why), but I was told the former is not very kindly to flockmates, and the latter is a very nervous breed. My friend wants to raise the chickens as both pets for her kids and egg layers. I have no experience with chickens, so I wonder if anyone can tell me what breed(s) in their opinion, would work well to be pets and egg layers?

2. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    You can't go wrong with Barred Rocks.

3. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    I second Barred Rocks. Mine is a great layer and a relaxed gal to boot. She is the Boss Hen but is not mean to us or the other chickens. Our Buff Orpington is also a reliable layer and just loves my 4 year old DD. Both are great with the kiddos! [​IMG]
    Edit: She is the one holding the Buff Orpington in my avatar pic!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Buff Orpingtons are docile and gentle plus they lay brown eggs really well.

5. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    Buff Orpingtons have been our most kid friendly and lay a LOT of eggs
    [​IMG]

6. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    Quote:I had to laugh at your picture! My DD likes to take the chickens on bike rides, too! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    brahmas [​IMG]

8. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I actually haven't met a Barred Rock that I DID like... I've had 2 and both have been so rotten to the other chickens and so excessively loud that I had to rehome them. I think the best combo bird would be Orpingtons.

9. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    Personally - my grandfather's barred rock roosters were really mean to me when I was little. I hear people all the time say how nice their barred rocks are but personally I will never own one. That said - in any breed there are differences in personality.
    I chose chickens for docility and all the other requisites came after that. I was happy to find the orps that fit beautifully my egg laying/meaty breed/docile pet requirements

10. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I guess I go against the grain, but my RIR's are the sweetest ever, both to people and the other hens and they also put up with 5 ducks no problem. Lay every day pretty well. My Delaware is a little pecky, but still sweet. My GLW is very shy, but once she is picked up, she doesn't want to be put down. She can be a brute to the other hens sometimes though, not often, as she is top of the pecking order. They all are excellent layers....about 6 a week for each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by