Best Coop Bedding? (No Poop Boards in Coop)

Has anyone tried covering the bottom of their coop with a thick layer of Sweet PDZ and then using a cat litter scoop with a long handle to clean the poop out?
Many have done so. Think @jthornton has.
What are the dimensions of your coop?
How many birds?
Does look like a board would be tight.
Best to have board 2' wide with roost centered about 8" above board.

We have 15 birds and I went the sand route. So far it’s been really amazing, keeps the girls cool in the summer heat, doesn’t smell, they get grit so I don’t have to worry about that. I do scoop every day, although in the winter I may not. It’s a lot easier if you get a pitchfork and attach wire cloth with small openings, cover more ground that way. My coop is a walk-in though so I’m sure that makes a difference. I’m a new chicken owner so I enjoy going out every day to give some scraps and spend time there so I just scoop while I visit. If you aren’t planning to be out there everyday maybe another method is for you!

@ObiHenKanobi , I don't think your coop is wide enough to allow for a poop board, especially having the roost on the long side of the coop. It's too narrow a space, but small and should be manageable without.
Want to add that you should have more ventilation, especially up in the peaks at each end.
Very handsome building!
You do have hardware cloth over those windows?
Mary

@ObiHenKanobi , I don't think your coop is wide enough to allow for a poop board, especially having the roost on the long side of the coop. It's too narrow a space, but small and should be manageable without.
Want to add that you should have more ventilation, especially up in the peaks at each end.
Very handsome building!
You do have hardware cloth over those windows?
Mary

Yup! There is hardware cloth on the windows. Vents are also on the list for this week... such a long list lol. I will tell my husband you like how the building is looking, thank you!

In looking at your pictures, is that the roost at the far end high up over the pop door? If so, why couldn’t you put a poop board under it? I realize there is a window on one side, but The board could be supported with something like shelf brackets that could attach to the end wall. If the board were only 8-10 inches below the roost, it wouldn’t take up any floor space. My coop is about the same size as yours. Here’s mine

Attachments

• 63534C1D-8A41-441C-B5BF-23D993DE4D1F.jpeg
    63534C1D-8A41-441C-B5BF-23D993DE4D1F.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2794D7E4-2012-43DF-BF9F-856D5AEB6920.jpeg
    2794D7E4-2012-43DF-BF9F-856D5AEB6920.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom