Best Coop?

creedatticus

Songster
Apr 16, 2022
Provo, Utah
We are looking for a coop we can pick up at or store or online (so we don’t have to design and make one), and we live close to the mountain in utah. what would a good coop be for 5-6 chicken?

Unfortunately, most (if not all) of the prefab coops you can find at TSC or online are too small, not predator proof, and don't have adequate ventilation.

If you look on craigslist or Facebook market place you might be able to find a good quality used coop or somebody who builds proper coops to sell. Good luck!

The "best" prefab that's commonly available seems to be the Over EZ coops. You will need to add more ventilation and possibly "fix" the roosts (I think by default they're too close together, or too close to wall?) Get at least 1 size up than what they recommend, as they overestimate how many chickens will fit (i.e. if it says Large holds 6-8, get the XL).

Best coop: Carolina coops are amazing! I don’t have one, but I’d love to. Unfortunately very expensive.

You won’t find many quality ones out there. Pre fabs are small, lack ventilation, are flimsy.... the list goes on. I would consider a shed conversion. (Chicken math is real!) or building a coop from scratch.

Welcome to BYC. Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing. If you put your location into your profile people can give you better-targeted advice.

We are looking for a coop we can pick up at or store or online (so we don’t have to design and make one), and we live close to the mountain in utah. what would a good coop be for 5-6 chicken?

As others have told you, it's exceedingly difficult to buy a prefab coop that is actually suited to keep chickens in. :(

Here's the information you need to help evaluate the coops you find:

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
As previously noted, OverEZ coops seem to be better-built than most prefabs but they will need to be modified, especially to add ventilation.

If you go with one of those, beware of the measurements they give you -- they include the nest boxes and that doesn't count when figuring out the square footage. So subtact a foot from the dimension with the odd numbered measurement.

Some rules of thumb:
  • f it looks like a dollhouse it's only suitable for toy chickens.
  • If it's measured in inches instead of feet it's too small.
  • If your walk-in closet is larger than the coop-run combo you're thinking of buying think carefully about whether you have an utterly awesome closet or are looking at a seriously undersized chicken coop.
  • If it has more nestboxes than the number of chickens it can legitimately hold the designer knew nothing about chickens' actual needs and it probably has other design flaws too.
You're in the right place and we'll help you get started right on your chicken adventure. :)

Bought our Coop on Wayfair.com.

Analis Chicken Coop with Nesting Box For Up To 6 Chickens​

That looks like a fairly good one, but only for 3 chickens. It's 12 square feet, but that's including the nesting boxes. It has at least a little ventilation, but I'd add more.

Unfortunately, most (if not all) of the prefab coops you can find at TSC or online are too small, not predator proof, and don't have adequate ventilation.

If you look on craigslist or Facebook market place you might be able to find a good quality used coop or somebody who builds proper coops to sell. Good luck!
i was look at you are totally right, most of them are way to small, no ventilation, and flimsy! i will look into this. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom