Best Deterrents Against Hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmgirlsomeday, Jul 25, 2014.

1. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chirping

Feb 23, 2014
    My chickens are kept in a large, securely fenced backyard with no closed top. At night they're locked up in a secure henhouse. My backyard offers plenty of cover for them to hang out and relax and/ or escape from harm but it's still essentially a free range situation, and my chickens have now attracted the notice of at least one hawk.

This weekend I want to work on some hawk deterrents.. I live in the city, so I'm not allowed to have a rooster, so that's out. I'm wondering what other anti-hawk strategies BYCers have found to actually work. Scarecrows? CDs strung around the trees? Decoy owls? Anything else I could try? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can you switch over to chicken tractor mode? Or simply have birds free-range for a short period of time under supervision. Dog can be helpful. Other stuff will not survive test of time.

3. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    We have hawks come by from time to time. Usually, the crows run them off. The rooster goes on alert and stands out in the open warning his girls. The hens run for cover. Throughout the area where they forage there is shelter within 20 feet nearly all the time.

I have a screen over the run, but the chickens are out most all the day.

I would provide them with plenty of shelter. Mine spend a lot of time sitting under the bushes and shrubs.

I hope not to lose one to a hawk. I don't know if CDs on strings or plastic owls work. I suppose the Aussies might lend a hand, if a hawk tried to attack.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: