Best dewormer for general use?

Does anyone know how long it takes for a wormer to create resistance? I've been using Valbazen and Safeguard liquid goat wormer for years, and I worm monthly. No resistance yet.
The only resistance I've seen is Ivermectin pour on from my personal experience.
I doubt it's ever been tested specifically, there could be many variables.

Gotta ask doesn’t that impact your eggs greatly? I mean with the withdrawal period doesn’t that limit the eggs your able to eat? I just wormed mine and am doing the follow up dose this weekend.
My timing was way off. I had intended to dose as the egg production would slow down due to daylight and temperatures. My girls are still laying strong. I’ll keep the eggs to refeed them. So I’m kinda fuzzy how that works (withdrawals period) with monthly worming.
Benzimidazoles (Valbazen, Safeguard and others) are excreted out of the chickens system usually within 3 to 5 days. There is still minute residue in eggs. I dont recommend eating eggs if someone is subject to a reaction and eggs shouldnt be sold or given away. It's best to toss them in the garbage. Feeding eggs back to chickens may create resistance over time however minute the residue.
That said, we eat the eggs after worming. Still here and typing after all these years.
BTW, chickens with poopy butt isnt a sign of worms :)

I kinda didn't notice the wormed monthly part. Personally, I wouldn't do that... I tend to do it once in the middle of winter when they're slacking on eggs anyway, unless I get someone new.
It's best to worm according to your soil conditions/environment.
Birds kept on the same soil require more frequent wormings. Birds up on wire may not require worming at all.
If your soil is warm and moist or wet, you'll need to worm frequently.
If you live where the soil is cool or cold most of the time, or mountainous/rocky soil, or desertlike soil, you may not have to worm often.
The bottom line is that if their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms.
Some folks prefer to worm in the fall or winter when birds are in molt and not laying eggs. Worming when birds are in molt is very stressful. They should be wormed before or after molt.

Back
Top Bottom