Best Deworming Method

Thank you for the information! That is definitely what I’m hearing more of now with DE
I am a DE advocate. I love it and attribute a lot of positive things to it. However, it certainly can't TREAT anything. It has preventative qualities, but this is it. Also, if you use it - make sure to use food grade, which is free of cillica. Non food grade is going to harm your chickens more than it helps with anything.

Lastly, being a natural fanatic, I will tell you first hand there isn't a single natural method available that will successfully treat worms in your chickens. I have tried each and every one - they are all snake oil. This includes formulated bags of it on Amazon or anywhere else.

The only way you will rid them of it is using the meds listed above.

Thank you for the information! That is definitely what I’m hearing more of now with DE
I never dewormed. Never noticed anything that seemed to be a huge worm problem. Never used any real medicines or pesticides with my chickens so far.
Deworming is bad for a chickens health if worms aren’t the problem.

I do add DE in their dustbath spot. DE seems to kill the larvae of many lice. I don’t know what it does with the worms.

I do wonder what makes the feces look like that.

I am a DE advocate. I love it and attribute a lot of positive things to it. However, it certainly can't TREAT anything. It has preventative qualities, but this is it. Also, if you use it - make sure to use food grade, which is free of cillica. Non food grade is going to harm your chickens more than it helps with anything.

Lastly, being a natural fanatic, I will tell you first hand there isn't a single natural method available that will successfully treat worms in your chickens. I have tried each and every one - they are all snake oil. This includes formulated bags of it on Amazon or anywhere else.

The only way you will rid them of it is using the meds listed above.
Okay, that’s good to hear. I have a good grade bag of it that I have been adding to their dust bath. What else do you like to use it for?

I never dewormed. Never noticed anything that seemed to be a huge worm problem. Never used any real medicines or pesticides with my chickens so far.

I do add DE in their dustbath spot. DE seems to kill the larvae of many lice. I don’t know what it does with the worms.

I do wonder what makes the fecesI have a good grade bag of it that I have been adding to their dust bath. What else do you like to use it for?

I do wonder what makes the feces look like that.
I have DE in their dust bath too. I sprinkled a little red pepper flakes in their food but that’s all I have really done so far

Okay, that’s good to hear. I have a good grade bag of it that I have been adding to their dust bath. What else do you like to use it for?
I use it in dust baths and to as to coop bedding and roosts after cleaning - then to the coop once a month in the winter and once a week in the warmer months.

I used to add it to their food, but then found it doesn't do much, if anything at all in that application.

I use it in dust baths and to as to coop bedding and roosts after cleaning - then to the coop once a month in the winter and once a week in the warmer months.

I used to add it to their food, but then found it doesn't do much, if anything at all in that application.
Okay cool. I am going to continue to put it in their dust bath… Thanks!!

I have DE in their dust bath too. I sprinkled a little red pepper flakes in their food but that’s all I have really done so far

Okay cool. I am going to continue to put it in their dust bath… Thanks!!
DE is something you and your birds Most certainly shouldn't breathe. It's basically asbestos. it can cuse cancer in you and respiratory failure for them.
Chilis flakes, as previously mentioned in your other thread won't do anything for worms.
Did you read the article I gave you? I spent six months researching for it and the citations are Agricultural/Veterinary experts from around the world.
If it wouldn't work on you, it's not going to work on a chicken.

Last edited:
I use it as an inside ‘paint’ in the nesting and roosting area to prevent a red mite infestation. The joints and cracks get extra attention.

Where I live the red mites are one of the mayor problems keeping chickens. Has to do with our mild climate.
I just add water to the DE to make a substance I can use as a paint.

Also put a thin layer of sand mixed with a spoon DE under the wood shavings /straw/hay in the nest-boxes. For the same reason.

I started to use DE in the second year I had chickens after a small red mite infestation. Discarded the roost and made new ones. They didn’t return after cleaning and treating the coop with DE. I paint the coop once every spring and summer. And check regularly with paper rolls from biscuits ever since. Twice I suspected I found a few lice in such a roll (not sure) . But never found a stack with lice-eggs since I use DE. I immediately cleaned and added new DE.

I’m not saying that it will always keep away the lice and mite in the future. Maybe I was lucky. But didn’t get feather lice either in all the 9 years I have chickens. All in all, I tend to believe it works the way I use it.

Back
Top Bottom