best ducks for bug control and kids?

tvtt08

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
Iowa
We are looking to get some ducks for garden/yard bug control and would love some that are calmer with kids too (4 & 6 pet savy kids). We also don't have a natural water source so we will be creating one for them. I'm thinking a small flock of 4ish ducks. I've been looking at Runners and Blue Sweedish and Pekin. Any suggestions on what would be best for our needs?

If noise isn't an issue, I'm partial to Call ducks... much smaller and less messy than bigger ducks... kiddie pool is fine for them... and they imprint very easily to people/kids... :)

My pekin is super kid friendly. Not sure about bug control... but she loves being pet. I think as far as a pet goes it matters more how they're raised than the breed. Our two Anconas are way less into people, but they grew up at a breeder's so they bonded to the other ducks whereas our Pekin was house raised with our Swedish Blue (who disappeared a few weeks ago
sad.png
)

I vote for the Muscovy! They're great at bug / pest control; from small snakes, to spiders, ticks and anything else that happens to be in the same area. They're quiet, fairly low maintenance and are as friendly as any domesticated animal might be. They are prolific, so birth control or at least knowing ahead of that what's in store. Between 10 laying ducks this year, we've seen over 60 ducklings. But my tick problem is history!!! :)

I vote for the Muscovy! They're great at bug / pest control; from small snakes, to spiders, ticks and anything else that happens to be in the same area. They're quiet, fairly low maintenance and are as friendly as any domesticated animal might be. They are prolific, so birth control or at least knowing ahead of that what's in store. Between 10 laying ducks this year, we've seen over 60 ducklings. But my tick problem is history!!! :)

That's a lot of duckling!

That's a lot of duckling!

We just sold 13 yesterday and have 4 more today! Thankfully, the girls are now more interested in fattening up for winter rather than laying eggs. One broody left, sitting on a clutch of 12 or so. She's a great Momma! This will be her second clutch this year. And yes, there have been a lot of ducklings!!

We like Welsh Harlequins. Colorful very friendly also if it is the size of rat or smaller they will chase it and try to eat it. They have gave chase to squirrels but have not grabbed one.

Back
Top Bottom