Best Egg Layer for SW Kentucky

milezone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
SW Kentucky
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully in a month we will be ready to take in our first peep's. We are looking to get #1 Friendly #2 Egg Layers #3 good for the SW kentucky enviorment. Anyone have ideas?

Milezone

If you were going for just eggs I would say leghorns or sex links but with friendly being first I would say orpingtons or brahmas. Being located where you are, most any of the common breads will do just fine in your area.

I have to diverge. I'm in south central KY, and the absolute BEST layer I've ever owned is my Australorp. She's also been my head hen for several years and is friendly, though not in a lap-chicken sort of way. Loves to walk up and talk to me.

Going on 5 years old, I still get at least 4 eggs from her a week. She's never had problems in the extremely unpredictable weather here.

I've had GC's, but their laying dramatically slacked off after 1 year. My sussex is a good layer/friendly, but doesn't lay the same sized eggs that the Aussie girl does. They were also much more aggressive than she was. Same goes for my delaware.

I wasn't impressed by the Orpingtons rate of lay, nor with my Brahmas (though they are friendly).

Back
Top Bottom