Best egg layer?!?

Pics
I started keeping chickens 5 years ago, a friend talked my into getting Sex Links. They are friendly, calm, great layers. The first two years I got an egg a day summer and winter. I free range them part time, when I am able to be outside and watch them, otherwise I put them in a chicken tractor during the day so they can still get grass and bugs. BUT they have had health issues. I started with 4, second year another friend gave me three more, all 7 have died by age 3 or 4. It's not natural to expect a chicken to lay an egg a day 365 days a year, but that is what they are cross bred to do.
If you just want eggs and aren't looking for "pets with benefits" then sex links are the way to go. If your chickens are your "girls" then I would suggest another breed. I live in town, my limit is 8 girls/no roosters. I currently have Barred Rocks, Rhode Is Red mix, and 2 Turkens. Hopefully they will have a longer life. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you!!! I’m thinking we will probably add Leghorns because my dad likes them, we may add a few Copper Marens too!

Hello!!

I’m wondering what the best egg layer breed is. We have cut our flock down a lot and the chickens we have are older, so we want to add young birds this spring!! I am looking for one that lays lots of eggs and is hardy!! Thank you for any advice!!!
For me my best layers are my Cinnamon Queens and Easter Eggers but my Cuckoo Maran is also pretty good, I’ve read that Rhode Island Reds are pretty good when it comes to laying too

It's easy to get so many chickens that you're overrun with eggs. I currently have an easy 9 dozen eggs and my kid eats a LOT of eggs. Wanting chickens that have a high egg to feed ratio is solid logic, but wanting healthy, long lived birds is too. Look at how many eggs you actually use per week. Add a few more just in case and figure out where you need to be with chickens/production. I'd rather have chickens that lay a bit less and just add in another bird or two than have ones that burn out after 2 years of laying, but everyone's wants and needs are different. I do support the leghorn and marrans idea though. Solid layers and it will make for a nice contrast in the egg box 👍

It's easy to get so many chickens that you're overrun with eggs. I currently have an easy 9 dozen eggs and my kid eats a LOT of eggs. Wanting chickens that have a high egg to feed ratio is solid logic, but wanting healthy, long lived birds is too. Look at how many eggs you actually use per week. Add a few more just in case and figure out where you need to be with chickens/production. I'd rather have chickens that lay a bit less and just add in another bird or two than have ones that burn out after 2 years of laying, but everyone's wants and needs are different. I do support the leghorn and marrans idea though. Solid layers and it will make for a nice contrast in the egg box 👍

I like the way you think!!!😁 Mine are not just chickens, they are PET chickens, there is a big difference 😉😉. When they can no longer lay, I figure they can still keep bugs out of my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_133732638.jpg
    IMG_20220318_133732638.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 5
I have 9 laying birds right now and eggs can amass quickly, I just took eggs to work, friends and to a retired coworker. I will be saving eggs for some art stuff next for the kids. Feed price can be an issue as well, my feed costs will be going up with more chicks to feed that become adults.

Back
Top Bottom