Best egg-laying breed for kids?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Fluffnut, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    I have 2 standard GLWs and they're great, but one thing I noticed; they can tend to pick on the other flock members. They also don't like being touched as much (at least in my experience), while I'd need a bird who really doesn't mind being messed with. :)

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    So far of ALL the various breeds we’ve had, the most relaxed breed has been Salmon Faverolle. They are fine being touched, are not flighty, visually interesting, quiet. They come in bantam size. The next most relaxed that we’ve had have been EE.

ValerieJ, Fluffnut and TwoShepherds like this.
  3. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Our SLW is “sassy”...that’s what we call her attitude. The GLWs are pretty relaxed birds too- don’t make much fuss, get along with the flock...so far, the GLW are not sassy and they are 6 months old. But, source and genetics will play a role in those behaviors, but they are generally known to tend towards sassy.

ValerieJ and Fluffnut like this.
  4. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    Ee

ValerieJ and Fluffnut like this.
  5. joydix

joydix Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    i have a nixed flock....about 50/50 large and bantam. i find my bantams lay like crazy! my seramas lay almost daily even when it really hot and already october and still laying like crazy. they are small eggs but i like them. fun colors and when they go broody they are not as committed to it and break easily unlike silkies and cochins...altho...bantam cochin is my hands down favorite .....also if NOT bantam what about delawares???? they are so lovely and so darned sweet and friendly! i ADORE my delaware....and good layers i think...she is only 10 weeks so we shall see!

ValerieJ, TwoShepherds and Fluffnut like this.
  6. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    If you were closer I would pay you to take my SLW.

ValerieJ likes this.
  7. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
    I’m on my first year with chickens and have a mixed flock. But of the group, I have 3 golden buff (red sex link) that were the first to lay 22-24 weeks, lay reliably, and are practically as obedient as dogs. They follow me around and run to greet me. I’ve even seen them pick ticks off of my dogs legs.

ValerieJ, goldysgirl and TwoShepherds like this.
  8. NJClucker

NJClucker Chirping

Jul 7, 2015
    Sussex County New Jersey
    If you want a lot of white eggs I would suggest the 55 flower hen. Nice friendly birds that don't get too big. They are the second best layers on my farm behind my Leghorns.

Fluffnut and ValerieJ like this.
  9. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Crowing

May 1, 2010
    I have never had bantam buffs, but my standard buffs were always my friendliest birds. Gentle, calm, and seem to really enjoy hunan interaction. My last two would fly up into my arms when they were young and I was out in the yard. I didn't even handle them much. I stopped getting them only because they were so succeptible to predators.

Fluffnut and ValerieJ like this.
  10. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Crowing

May 1, 2010
    I have 2 bantam cochin roos. They are very docile. I had a standard hen once. Not a good layer, but a great broody! She was one of my all time favorites. She was quirky and even a little grumpy but in a very cute way

ValerieJ likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: