Best egg-laying breed for kids?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Fluffnut, Oct 24, 2019.

1. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Crowing

May 1, 2010
    I have had the same experience with wyandottes. The large fowl and bantams both a little bossy and skittish about being handled. Good layers though and pretty birds. The only mean roo I ever had was a SLW.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I would go with Faverolles or Dominiques if it were my call.
    Both take handling well but in opposite ways.
    She'd have to put forth a tiny bit of effort to handle the Favs not much at all.though.
    The Dominiques would insist on her participation, they're very present with a keeper.:)

3. Gilded Feather

Gilded Feather Songster

May 21, 2019
    KY-WV line
    Might I suggest bantam ameraucanas and bantam Rhode Island reds? :) I’ve never personally owned an ameraucana (shocking, I know) but I have had RIRs and the ones I’ve had were certainly friendly and very nice layers. You can find both of these breeds on Murray McMurray hatchery’s website.

Fluffnut and ValerieJ like this.
  4. Secondof9

Secondof9 Chirping

Jun 20, 2018
    SE of Seattle WA
    My Wyandottes are definitely unfriendly and LOUD. They squawk almost constantly (really annoys one of my neighbors, sad to say).

5. TheChiggens

TheChiggens The Cluckmazing Factor

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    Most large breeds!

6. WMassforestflock

WMassforestflock In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2019
    Western Massachusetts
    We have a mixed flock of five breeds that we selected for friendliness, laying ability, and cold hardiness. Our Speckled Sussexes from Cackle Hatchery are our friendliest, followed by Buff Orpington. The SSs always come running to greet us and hold still to get picked up. They also have the softest feathers of the five breeds.

Fluffnut likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: