Best Egg Laying Duck Duck

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Im thinking about getting about 25 ducks or so for egg laying. So I'm looking for what everyone considers the best white egg layer for ducks.

That's... a lot of eggs. I second that pekins are loud.

Each of my muscovies (they're virtually silent) give 5-6 eggs a week as well. I have 6 females and we're already knee deep in eggs.

Great for making gnocchi though.

I like my Welsh Harlequin. They aren't loud unless they are very excited (like during treat time or in the morning when it's time to be let out). I get almost 7 eggs a week for all of them. They'll usually take a break every 3 weeks or so when in lay.

Cackle has a pretty good deal right now when getting over 20 ducks. They are just $3.10 each. I'm not sure how long this will be on offer, but it has been for at least 2 weeks now.

I'm not affiliated with them, just thought I'd share :)

am going to go by what my duck book says. right now i have two Swedish ducks (both hens, there not laying yet there about 9 weeks old, but there dual purpose breed so i would not recommend them if you only want eggs.)

having that said, my book says khaki Campbell ducks are the best layers. followed by Welsh harlequins, then runners. (all laying up to 300+ eggs) i think, having that said, not sure where you live, but here in Canada where i live ducks are expensive, with most breeds being 10-15+ dollars for an un-sexed day old. and then there are pekins, i can find them for about 5-6 dollars for a day old (and again un-sexed so you get like 50% males)

I'm a fan of Pekins because they're mellow and easy to move, which will be helpful if you're getting 25! They're louder than some, but only when they get excited about something. I have been very tempted to give Khaki Campbells a try since they're supposed to be the best layers, but I always talk myself out of it because they're just not as calm.

Pekins do lay well. The breeder that I buy from told me that his Khakis don't really lay that much more than his Pekins. The difference he noted, is that the Pekins drop off in production more than Campbells after the fist year. So I went to buy Khakis and came home with more Pekins. Lol.

Duck people always have a favorite. The good news is that if you get ANY ducks you'll be happy!

Thanks everyone! I owned a flock of about 15 ducks a few years back, it consisted of Runners, Pekins, Rouens, and Swedish. Pekin are definently a no go as I want to keep the ducks til I graduate in 3 years, so I want them to be productive until the end, where I would either sell them or my parents would take them over along with my laying hens. So far I'm leaning towards Khaki Campbells.

Back
Top Bottom