best feed to fatten a calf for butcher?

Quote:
I totally agree. For butchering, get an angus! If you're a goat person, it's similar to the difference in butchering an Alpine vs. butchering a boer.

That's not to say people don't butcher Holstein steers all the time. Angus, brangus, hereford, etc. is just going to dress out better.

may I ask why you waited till he was 16 months to have the vet cut him, (i am assuming you mean to cut as in to casturate)?
i was always taught if you were gonna casturate them do it pretty quick, easier on the animal, no vet bill, and the steer will hold and gain weight a lot better
and when you say lookin for a calf to butcher are you lookin for quality, or quanity.

Last edited:
corn creep feed and rice bran will do good for a ration but do let it graze or eat hay as well heres a few tags from the pellets

4007_picture_052.jpg

4007_picture_051.jpg

angus hybrids are even better for meat. herefords are good too. but i really like the brangus (brahma and angus cross). they have true hybrid vigor. you get the mass of an angus and brahma alike because both are very well built but you get the diseaseand parasite resistance of the brahma

Back
Top Bottom