Best feed

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi guys, haven’t been on here in a while because I had such a bad struggle with my chickens a little bit ago.. well everything’s looking up and things are starting to be ok. I need a new feed and I can’t tell what’s the best. Everyone has different opinions so I just figured I would come here and ask all of you. The pictures are what I was feeding and have been feeding, I already had a few people talk to me about the corn which was really helpful. I have tried to find better grains but it’s really hard. So please just any recommendations would be much appreciated and helpful I am buying new feed today!
7A00E970-8AD2-4D26-8675-A194070E5DF9.jpeg
41F9AC05-94BC-4992-9CF4-8C6A80795995.jpeg

Don't feed ANY extra corn at all.

I would feed either Flock Raiser or All Flock with a container or two of oyster shell on the side.

The layer feed forces the birds to consume extra calcium even when they do not need it so it can cause stress to the kidneys to eliminate it. There are many periods in a chickens life when they do not require excess calcium for egg production: brooding, molt, winter break, rooster/cockerel, pre-POL pullets.

Additionally, layer feed offers the bare minimum protein to maximize egg production. The birds should have more than the bare minimum.

I also supplement with a tin of sardines or a can of tuna a couple of times a week throughout the year with more offered during the molt.

Last edited:
Agreed. Do not use the cracked corn feed. It is like feeding your chickens ice cream- lots of calories, but very little nutrition.

There is also disagreement among chicken keepers about using layer feed vs. flock feed. I come down on the same side as @DobieLover. Layer feed is very good in its place, but there are way too many exceptions- not for chicks, cockerels, molting/non-laying hens, etc.

Flock feed offers extra protein and is good for any situation (except full-sized pellets aren't good for chicks). Offering oyster shell/crushed egg shell in a separate feeder allows laying hens to get as much additional calcium as they need for their eggs while non-layers will basically ignore it.

I would feed either Flock Raiser or All Flock with a container or two of oyster shell on the side.

The layer feed forces the birds to consume extra calcium even when they do not need it so it can cause stress to the kidneys eliminate it. There are many periods is a chickens life when they do not require excess calcium for egg production: brooding, molt, winter break, rooster/cockerel, pre-POL pullets.

Additionally, layer feed offers the bare minimum protein to maximize egg production. The birds should have more than the bare minimum.

I also supplement with a tin of sardines or a can of tuna a couple of times a week throughout the year with more offered during the molt.
Yes thank you! Corn was always recommended before but thankfully I’ve talked to a lot of people about it, it honestly makes so much sense when you think about it. I never liked the egg layer feed but my friend recommended it because she loves it, but it’s definitely not helpful for me. The tuna and sardines is a really smart idea I’m definitely going to use that thank you!

Agreed. Do not use the cracked corn feed. It is like feeding your chickens ice cream- lots of calories, but very little nutrition.

There is also disagreement among chicken keepers about using layer feed vs. flock feed. I come down on the same side as @DobieLover. Layer feed is very good in its place, but there are way too many exceptions- not for chicks, cockerels, molting/non-laying hens, etc.

Flock feed offers extra protein and is good for any situation (except full-sized pellets aren't good for chicks). Offering oyster shell/crushed egg shell in a separate feeder allows laying hens to get as much additional calcium as they need for their eggs while non-layers will basically ignore it.
Thank you so much! How do your chickens do eating the oyster shell in a separate feed? I feel like mine might not but I’m definitely going to try it, thank you!

Thank you so much! How do your chickens do eating the oyster shell in a separate feed? I feel like mine might not but I’m definitely going to try it, thank you!
I used to give them layer feed + egg shell. Some girls needed more calcium than the layer feed offered on its own as they would occasionally develop soft-shelled eggs.

I converted about a year ago to flock feed (higher protein/lower calcium) + oyster shell + egg shell. I continue this same routine even into winter when they stop laying. I tried just oyster shell for a while, but since they were used to egg shell, some didn't get enough calcium and ended up with soft-shelled eggs. I've since mixed the two types of calcium and those that didn't like the oyster shell as much are now doing fine.

I can't directly comment on whether chickens that are only offered oyster shell might have problems. It might just be that mine were used to egg shell. Either way, make sure you offer the calcium in a separate container rather than mixed in with their main feed. Those that want/need the extra calcium will be drawn to it and those that don't need it will only rarely peck at it.

Likewise, if your chickens eat pretty much anything other than crumbles/pellets, then you should offer grit in another separate container. The grit is used like teeth to help break down insects/vegetable matter/etc. If your chickens free range, then they can get grit (small pebbles) from the ground, but grit it very cheap and I still offer mine grit even though they free range (they only use a small amount). Note that grit is rock and not the same as oyster shell.

PS- I recommend that you put your general location in your Account page. Some answers are more climate-specific.

Last edited:

The layer feed forces the birds to consume extra calcium even when they do not need it so it can cause stress to the kidneys eliminate it. There are many periods is a chickens life when they do not require excess calcium for egg production: brooding, molt, winter break, rooster/cockerel, pre-POL pullets.

Just curious, what's the purpose of feeding sardines or tuna?

I’m curious - does the tuna and sardines change the taste of the eggs? I had a neighbor feed their chickens fresh fish scraps from cleaning fish and their eggs the following day/week were practically inedible because they tasted so strongly of fish.

Back
Top Bottom