Best feed

Recycling egg shell back to the hens isn't enough for them, they need to have oyster shell out there too.
Mary
That's why I said "unlimited supply", not just recycling their own. My hens don't lay in the winter so I buy eggs, and save the shells. This makes up for any deficit over time from only feeding their own. So if you do offer and unlimited supply (as in, eggshells are always available and don't run out), then no, they don't need oyster shell or anything else.

Yes, methionine and lysine. Different brands and feed types have different assays, shown on the labels. Some feeds are 'bare minimum', usually the layer feeds, formulated for small high producing hens in confinement, and will be less than ideal for many other chickens. Many all-flock feeds are closer to what many backyard flocks need, with oyster shell offered separately.
It's not only about methionine! And a specific amino acid is the same thing, from where ever.
Mary
Well I wouldn't feed my dogs or cat soy based feed with methionine or whatever specific amino acid and expect it to be healthy for them or my flock. Some people do and that's fine.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Purina Flock Raiser. It's 20% protein, and doesn't flaunt the fashionable "vegetarian" status. Chickens aren't vegetarian by nature (nor are people) so that's just feeding the fad. I offer an unlimited supply of eggshell on the side. Haven't had any problems - not with shell strength, not with feather quality, or anything else. So I don't see a need to offer any additional protein. Just the flock raiser and the eggshells. My chickens don't free range. They are healthy and shiny and are doing great!
The fad has been going strong at least since 2004, it started after the mad cow scares etc. I have been waiting for vegetarian anything to go away forever.

The fad has been going strong at least since 2004, it started after the mad cow scares etc. I have been waiting for vegetarian anything to go away forever.
Every time there's a big scare of any kind, people tend to do this. Like the big covid scare fueling another massive wave of chicken ownership... and when the fad of chicken ownership combines with other fads, like various fancy diets or the organic fad, things can get quite complicated and you end up with people searching high and low for extremely specific, expensive, questionably nutritious chicken feeds/diets that reflect the owners' beliefs more than the chickens' needs... I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

Every time there's a big scare of any kind, people tend to do this. Like the big covid scare fueling another massive wave of chicken ownership... and when the fad of chicken ownership combines with other fads, like various fancy diets or the organic fad, things can get quite complicated and you end up with people searching high and low for extremely specific, expensive, questionably nutritious chicken feeds/diets that reflect the owners' beliefs more than the chickens' needs... I doubt it will go away anytime soon.
Exactly...I fed my flock a non-GMO starter/grower because the feed store guy recommended it. After they were old enough to eat regular feed I went to the "all flock" feed.

And for the record, I was ordering chickens whether we had the government sponsored illness or not....always wanted them. :)

Exactly...I fed my flock a non-GMO starter/grower because the feed store guy recommended it. After they were old enough to eat regular feed I went to the "all flock" feed.

And for the record, I was ordering chickens whether we had the government sponsored illness or not....always wanted them. :)
They can eat the all flock feed right from the start. The one I use - Purina Flock Raiser - is 20% protein which is the same as chick starter. So you don't even need a starter/grower feed.

Unless your chicks are at risk for coccidiosis, then the chick starter including amprolium is the best choice. After decades of raising chicks without medicated, in 2021 (a very wet spring) we had some get sick, and had to treat them all. Last year we didn't raise any chicks, and this spring, although it was dry, we did use the medicated chick starter.
Mary

They can eat the all flock feed right from the start. The one I use - Purina Flock Raiser - is 20% protein which is the same as chick starter. So you don't even need a starter/grower feed.
I never knew that but wish I had....this place is the go-to for all things chicken!!

Mine are all slick and pretty eating that high protein diet!

I fed my flock a non-GMO
I am not a fan of gmo and will avoid it in my own diet. That said, I won't pay a premium or go out of my way to give non-gmo to my animals.
They can eat the all flock feed right from the start
Provided it's crumble.
Unless your chicks are at risk for coccidiosis, then the chick starter including amprolium is the best choice.
Yes, medicated or not is a personal choice based largely on local conditions/circumstances. I am working with another member to get a couple of birds and if it goes through, I will give all medicated for a couple of weeks as the new ones will likely be exposed to (and bring) a different strain of the protozoa.

As a PSA : you can find a rebate offer at the Purina mills website for Layena, duck, and some horse feeds. If anyone uses those feeds.

Back
Top Bottom