Best feed

When I want to give molting chickens some extra protein, I give them calf manna. I mix it in with their afternoon mash snack. I do that a couple times a week, and maybe some fish once a week.

My birds get a 20% all-flock feed with oyster shell in a separate container. They can free range on our farm, mixed habitat, so goodies available for them in good weather. Frozen ground and snow, nothing out there then.
Pick a diet that is fresh by the mill date on the bag, and feed it within two months if possible. Here it's Purina Flock Raiser, your choices might be different.
I do occasionally offer kitchen scraps, or scratch, in small quantities, so they learn to come when i call them.
My mother liked canned sardines, I can't stand the stuff, and never buy it!
Mary

I’m curious - does the tuna and sardines change the taste of the eggs? I had a neighbor feed their chickens fresh fish scraps from cleaning fish and their eggs the following day/week were practically inedible because they tasted so strongly of fish.
Not in my experience. But, I only give a can once every few days, mainly in the summer/fall, to balance out all the surplus garden fruits and vegetables they are eating. Plus, that's when they are molting.

I’m curious - does the tuna and sardines change the taste of the eggs? I had a neighbor feed their chickens fresh fish scraps from cleaning fish and their eggs the following day/week were practically inedible because they tasted so strongly of fish.
I've never noticed any difference in the taste but they aren't eating buckets of fish either.

Chickens do need amino acids found in meat, and because animal protein (meat) is more expensive than plants, and because of this marketing 'vegetarian fed' fad, those essential amino acids are added to the vegetarian poultry feeds. This balances their diet. However, adding lots of other stuff, as many backyard folks like to do, can unbalance the diet in many ways, all unanticipated by the people involved.
Mary

Chickens do need amino acids found in meat, and because animal protein (meat) is more expensive than plants, and because of this marketing 'vegetarian fed' fad, those essential amino acids are added to the vegetarian poultry feeds. This balances their diet. However, adding lots of other stuff, as many backyard folks like to do, can unbalance the diet in many ways, all unanticipated by the people involved.
Mary
Yes, methionine. It's cheaper than animal protein. Others may be happy with it, but for me I add the real thing to my flocks diet. I'm sure most would disagree with me. Im skeptical that just adding methionine makes feed complete. No unbalanced diet here.

Yes, methionine and lysine. Different brands and feed types have different assays, shown on the labels. Some feeds are 'bare minimum', usually the layer feeds, formulated for small high producing hens in confinement, and will be less than ideal for many other chickens. Many all-flock feeds are closer to what many backyard flocks need, with oyster shell offered separately.
It's not only about methionine! And a specific amino acid is the same thing, from where ever.
Mary

I'm a big fan of Purina Flock Raiser. It's 20% protein, and doesn't flaunt the fashionable "vegetarian" status. Chickens aren't vegetarian by nature (nor are people) so that's just feeding the fad. I offer an unlimited supply of eggshell on the side. Haven't had any problems - not with shell strength, not with feather quality, or anything else. So I don't see a need to offer any additional protein. Just the flock raiser and the eggshells. My chickens don't free range. They are healthy and shiny and are doing great!

Back
Top Bottom