Best Feeder for Ducks and Chickens Living Together

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends!
Still preparing my chicken coop and run for our ducklings to move in and I'm brainstorming ideas for the feeder situation. Currently, my chickens are using a chicken feeder that sits inside a Rubbermaid tote on its side to keep it dry on wet/rainy days. It has worked very well. When it isn't rainy or wet out, the feeder just sits in the middle of their run under the run roof.
This is what I have:
feeder.jpeg

However, I'm concerned that adding ducks to the mix is going to change that all up. Would a feed tub or bowl be better than a chicken feeder or could I still use the chicken feeder? Should I have more than one container of feed available so that one may not get as wet as the other or is that wishful thinking? Any ideas on how to keep the chicken feeder dry for the chickens and let the ducks make a mess out of another one? I was thinking of putting the feeder up higher, but my chickens might not know how to handle that. I'm just trying to think of any and all issues I might encounter when I add my ducks to the flock soon. Thanks so much for any input!

Our pekin drake lives with the chickens and has no issues using the same poultry feeder you have. I don't know if it would be different for you since you have more than one though, I prefer to use a rubber pan for my ducks. I like taller pans since the ducks don't seem to want to step into them and get the feed mucky. These same pans also work well for their water, but only once the ducks are tall enough to use them.

Hello friends!
Still preparing my chicken coop and run for our ducklings to move in and I'm brainstorming ideas for the feeder situation. Currently, my chickens are using a chicken feeder that sits inside a Rubbermaid tote on its side to keep it dry on wet/rainy days. It has worked very well. When it isn't rainy or wet out, the feeder just sits in the middle of their run under the run roof.
This is what I have: View attachment 2594647

However, I'm concerned that adding ducks to the mix is going to change that all up. Would a feed tub or bowl be better than a chicken feeder or could I still use the chicken feeder? Should I have more than one container of feed available so that one may not get as wet as the other or is that wishful thinking? Any ideas on how to keep the chicken feeder dry for the chickens and let the ducks make a mess out of another one? I was thinking of putting the feeder up higher, but my chickens might not know how to handle that. I'm just trying to think of any and all issues I might encounter when I add my ducks to the flock soon. Thanks so much for any input!
I think that should definetly work. I use the same style put even a bit smaller I think. Just beware that they will spill half of what they are trying to eat.

Our pekin drake lives with the chickens and has no issues using the same poultry feeder you have. I don't know if it would be different for you since you have more than one though, I prefer to use a rubber pan for my ducks. I like taller pans since the ducks don't seem to want to step into them and get the feed mucky. These same pans also work well for their water, but only once the ducks are tall enough to use them.
Yeah, I was thinking rubber pans too. I was just wondering if I should use the feeder too and see what happens. I'll just have to try some different set-ups out and see what works best. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or methods that seemed to work particularly well. Thank you!

They don't spill very much feed when they use the rubber pans, and it's easier for them to eat out of the rubber pans so if they have an option I think they will choose pans over the poultry feeder.

Back
Top Bottom