best feeder

If you want a great feeder, buy a 200 lb hog feeder. they’re cheap and will supply a flock of 25 for weeks. add a 50 gallon food safe barrel with metal nipples for water, auto door, and back roll out nests...you can leave for two weeks and not worry.
Unfortunately, the chipmunk and bears would love for me to do this. :(
yeah...you probably don’t want an outside feeder where you live. i haven’t researched chicken feeders that are near proof outside. i have four 200 lb hog feeders but they’re all inside.

I see that there are a number of styles of hog feeders and the ones I see would not work for chickens. Do you have a link and/or picture of the hog feeder you are talking about? Thanks.
like this but i don’t put the lower doors on it. i have outside barn cats so mice and rats have yet to ever be a problem

Attachments

• C8CF9B93-855B-4E46-8FFC-E9F412EF2BBC.png
    C8CF9B93-855B-4E46-8FFC-E9F412EF2BBC.png
    418.3 KB · Views: 17
my waterer is basically a pass through from rain water.

but for the feeder...without a doubt...you could use a 50 gallon barrel with PVC pipe...and would be cheaper than the $150 i paid. i was actually thinking of using my grain elevator to buy feed in bulk, feed into a hopper and then gravity feed into feeders.

i is
:confused: @Carson213 , I am having a hard time following this thread. Where did you mention anything about zero bedding and coop fallacies? The topic of this thread is about "Best Feeder", but now you seem to be talking about some other thread and topic issues raised elsewhere.

Well, yes, buying a hog feeder is easy. I was only trying to point out that you cannot simply put some PVC elbows on a 50 gallon barrel and use it as a feeder because the feed in the middle of the barrel will never get eaten. The barrel is just too wide for that. You would need a cone in the barrel to force the feed to the outer walls. If not, the feed in the middle would sit there forever and eventually turn bad.

If your goal is to minimize your labor time in taking care of a large flock, then I think your idea of a large hopper into the 200 lb. hog feeder is an interesting idea.

Along that thinking, if you used a 50 gallon barrel with nipples to water the chickens, you could simply put in an automatic float that hooks up to a garden hose and never have to touch the watering system until you need to clean it out. Unless you have some really good filtration system for your rain water, the hose water would be much cleaner and therefore you would expect to have a longer time between cleanings.

I understand that some people on town water supply have to pay for water, so collecting rain water is a great option. I live out in the country, and have my own well, so I don't have to pay a water bill per se. My biggest issue with water is that I have to heat it for about 6 months out of the year or it will freeze.
i use a float from the rain gutters

If you want a great feeder, buy a 200 lb hog feeder. they’re cheap and will supply a flock of 25 for weeks. add a 50 gallon food safe barrel with metal nipples for water, auto door, and back roll out nests...you can leave for two weeks and not worry.
I see that there are a number of styles of hog feeders and the ones I see would not work for chickens. Do you have a link and/or picture of the hog feeder you are talking about? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom