Best for silkie chicks

Stonelakemomma3

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2018
Hi! I pick up my 3 silkie chicks tomorrow & can’t wait! What do you all suggest using for bedding until they go out to the coop & do they need starter & grit or does the started have grit? I don’t want to miss anything they need. Thank you!

Hi! I pick up my 3 silkie chicks tomorrow & can’t wait! What do you all suggest using for bedding until they go out to the coop & do they need starter & grit or does the started have grit? I don’t want to miss anything they need. Thank you!

Best bedding in my opinion is Pine shavings.

Feed them ‘chick’ starter and also feed them ‘chick’ grit.

Oh and Welcome to backyard chickens :welcome

Congratulations! :ya
They need chick starter or flock raiser feed.
Chick grit isn’t absolutely necessary unless you’re giving them treats but it won’t hurt them.
I don’t like putting them on shavings for the first several days.
I use paper towels or puppy pads.
This is so they don’t confuse the shavings with food.
I’ve had two chicks in separate batches eat shavings and develop an obstructed crop and die. They starve to death because the food doesn’t get through very well.
Poultry Nutri Drench is a great product to have on hand as it gets into the bloodstream quickly and can revive a weak or listless chick.
Are your Silkies coming through the mail?

Chick grit isn’t absolutely necessary unless you’re giving them treats but it won’t hurt them.
I’ve had two chicks in separate batches eat shavings and develop an obstructed crop and die. They starve to death because the food doesn’t get through very well.
Poultry Nutri Drench is a great product to have on hand as it gets into the bloodstream quickly and can revive a weak or listless chick.

I’ve read that pine shavings are fine, it’s cedar shavings that can be a danger. Anyhow I’ve always used pine shavings, 0 problems whatsoever. :)

Yes coming through the mail. I like the puppy pad idea because I didn’t realize they would eat shavings.

Yes coming through the mail. I like the puppy pad idea because I didn’t realize they would eat shavings.
Not all of them do it but after losing two chicks I’m pretty much done.
It’s heartbreaking to see them die that way and although we do cull them if they’re suffering it’s never pleasant.
I use pine shavings but just not until they’re about 5 days to a week old.
The issue with cedar shavings has to do with the oils they contain causing respiratory problems with birds.

Back
Top Bottom