Best geese feed?

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
My geese are comming next week......what should i start feeding them?? I was thinking, whole oats, rolled oats, crack corn, game bird crumble,layer pellett, cat/ dog food....is this a good diet?? Also i will have wet down alfelfa cubes off to the side.

Don't bother with the cat and dog food - geese are strict herbivores. While they really seem to like cheap, off brand dog food (mine will sometimes get into ours), it's just not needed.

Also, geese don't seem that excited about alfalfa. I don't know why they don't like it; they just don't.

If you can get Flock Raiser or an actual Duck and Goose feed that would be best. Scratch grain on the side makes them happy. Same with oyster shell provided when they start to lay (usually around February, but sometimes they will start early).

I have 3 chinese geese in with dwarf mini horses (in my avatar). The geese love to search thru flakes of alfalfa hay to get the tiny bits of green. They also help themselves to horse pellets.

As far as what they eat I mix them up a feed pan with layer pellets, cracked corn and a handful of dog food. I give them leftover bread as treats. Right now they have a pumpkin half in their pen to nibble on.

My geese love Flock Raiser (tractor supply) but since I rarely get a chance to drive that distance I will feed them laying mash daily and cracked corn. I feed them alot of scraps such as veggies, fruits and stale bread. They also like popped corn, cereal and the kids leftover poptarts
smile.png

Flock raiser. Scratch grains. Mine steal the chicken feed and spend a lot of time under the wild bird feeders. They free range in the yard and keep the grass trimmed down. Treats are Romaine lettuce and peanut butter sandwitches cut into small pieces (they love them) They also like mushy fruits like watermelon and cantalope. Forget the dog food and cat food.

NEVER feed them spinach or avacado, both are bad for them.

I must have the only geese on the planet that don't like treats. Only thing they ever want is duck and goose mix and whatever they forage. I have tried just about every type of fruit I eat and nothing. They didn't even like it when I tried feed from a different mill. I ended up going back to their usual feed and the neighbor's chickens got the stuff they didn't like.

Quote:
You’re not the only one. Ours like laying mash and scratch grain. Won’t eat pellets, fruit or veggies, not even pees. Now they will eat ANYTHING GREEN growing in the yard. Can’t grow grass. They ate $175.00 worth of St. Augustine sod. Then we planted grass seed three times. It started growing and they eat it all. We'll plant again come Spring.
big_smile.png

Mine forage, and there is still some green stuff to eat here. I feed mine & they seem to like Purina's Flock Raiser and also whole corn.

Back
Top Bottom