Best Ground for UncoveredRun?

You need carbon. Wood chips are the easiest to source. Google Joel Salatin "Polyface Farm" he has written numerous books, various videos on YouTube. Operates a multi generational farm in the Shenandoah Valley. He has decades of experience and swears by my recommendation.
Where can I find wood chips? Can I just use mulch chips? Is there any I should avoid?

My hens have destroyed the back yard and I have no more grass. I only have four hens and I’m going to put up a 13x13 run for them while I’m away since I’m terrified of predator attacks. Im also hoping outside this area a little grass will grow back. I’ll let them out to free range when I can be out with them. I’ve had two chicken hocks attack, but luckily my girls escaped.

So now, there’s just dirt - plenty to dust bathe, but nothing to find while scratching around.

I appreciate recommendations. I’m a newbie to chickens. They are now my pets and extended family, so always looking to keep the healthy and happy.

Where can I find wood chips? Can I just use mulch chips? Is there any I should avoid?
Most economical would be getting a tree service to dump a load of chips in your yard. If you don't have room for that much, then check with landscape supply companies for bulk or bagged untreated mulch - not as ideal because you won't get a big variety of sizes, but it'll still provide you with better drainage than most other materials.

I would avoid 100% cedar (esp Eastern red cedar - I myself have some Western cedar in my chip pile), black walnut (it affects horses and other trees/plants, but unknown if it's harmful to poultry), and anything aromatic in general.

My hens have destroyed the back yard and I have no more grass. I only have four hens and I’m going to put up a 13x13 run for them while I’m away since I’m terrified of predator attacks. Im also hoping outside this area a little grass will grow back. I’ll let them out to free range when I can be out with them. I’ve had two chicken hocks attack, but luckily my girls escaped.

So now, there’s just dirt - plenty to dust bathe, but nothing to find while scratching around.

I appreciate recommendations. I’m a newbie to chickens. They are now my pets and extended family, so always looking to keep the healthy and happy.
Mulch will work!

Most economical would be getting a tree service to dump a load of chips in your yard. If you don't have room for that much, then check with landscape supply companies for bulk or bagged untreated mulch - not as ideal because you won't get a big variety of sizes, but it'll still provide you with better drainage than most other materials.

I would avoid 100% cedar (esp Eastern red cedar - I myself have some Western cedar in my chip pile), black walnut (it affects horses and other trees/plants, but unknown if it's harmful to poultry), and anything aromatic in general.
Thanks so much!
I love this site. Everyone is kind and helpful.
I've learned so much from everyone. 😁

You can sign up for a load of chips at getchipdrop.com - just be aware they could dump a huge pile at any time. If you can handle a big load of wood chips this is a great way to go - if you only need a wheelbarrow or 2 full it may not be. Definitely watch the videos so you are aware of what you could possibly be getting before signing up.

Playground chips are not treated, you can get a bunch of that if you're worried about dyes or chemicals. They take a lot longer to compost, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. It's good because they will stick around longer and provide good drainage and you won't have to replace them as often. But you also won't get the benefits of composting, where the plant material reacts with the poop to neutralize it and turn it into soil. It's this process that controls the smell and poopiness of the run. So ideally you'd use the wood chips in combination with other materials - dry leaves you collect in the fall (if you live in a climate where trees drop their leaves), grass clippings, various yard waste. The plant material from those sources will combine with the poop to turn it into compost and control the smell, while the coarser wood chips will provide drainage.

Back
Top Bottom