Best guard birds for chickens?

babylady4

Mother Goose
14 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Central WI
What would the best breed of bird be for guarding chickens? I was thinking geese or Guinea hens.

hu.gif

I have heard that a tom turkey will help! I have peacocks and I have seen a big drop in hawks coming around.
smile.png
But just to be safe, I have geese and turkeys growing!!
big_smile.png

..just read an article in Mother Earth News that stated turkeys are great hawk alerters for chickens. They seem to be more aware(?) and will move to cover; chickens will follow.

HTH,
Lisa

I'm not sure how useful guineas would be. Mine sure aren't. The guinea guys take care of their own hens and ignore the chickens. The chickens, in turn, ignore the guineas (guys and girls). I'm now considering a rooster for the chickie girls.

Build a covered run. That's what we did. WE don'thave to worry about anything now. We have dogs that chase away any 4 legged predators and the flying ones can't get in. The ones that burrow, we havne't had a problem with a of yet. Just a gofer or mole or two and the dogs tend to dig those up and kill them. WE have a Lab that faced a skink one itme and saved our chickens. She even got sprayed but continued to get the skunk out of the yard. She doesn't bother our chickens either. That was before the covered run. They could walk right over her and she woudn't do anythng but get up and leave. We have a St Bernard that scares away other dogs too with just his bark. WE are about to move his pen to where he can have a clear view of the coop.

Chinese Geese. They will , if raised with the chickens, really drive off stuff, including Fox! These geese have an instinctive hate of small doglike things. And they don't care for stray cats either.
You must bond to them young, and they can be a bit noisy, but they are affectionate little watchdogs.
Peacocks are great too, if you get ONE male and let him think he is a chicken. He will accept that, except expect some noise for about 4 weeks in the spring...mating calls.
Turkeys are better than nothing , but it's true the males can pin the chickens, and the females are sweet, but shy and not too protective.

Back
Top Bottom