Best Guess as to Breed?

Nikki,

That is probably true about interesting colored roosters being easier to place, but still, I'd worry about them. Some people just don't take good care of their chickens, and I'd want the boys to have a happy, long life. .I don't eat chickens, so I couldn't go that route, either. I bond with my chicks and become very protective of them. I'm a big Softie, in this regard. But thanks for the suggestions. It would sure be fun to hatch his chicks.

Thanks for the tips on finding adult Blue Orps, too. The Lemon Blue Cochins would be fun, too. I re-read that Buff Leghorn link I posted, and it turns out those chickens are half Buff Cochin, not half Buff Orpington. The only pics I've been able to find of Buff Orpington/white leghorn crosses show chickens with mostly white feathers. So I think you may be right that my boy is a pure Orp.
He's sure a lot of fun. Too wild to put Vaseline on his comb, though. I have read that once they get frostbite, they generally never get it again. I think when the dead parts slough off the comb in the spring, it perhaps forms a scar or something that prevents future frostbite, so maybe I won't have to worry about frostbite in the future?

Back
Top Bottom