Best guesses on a breed for this baby

henloverinmaine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Downeast coastal Maine
Long story shortened......... This chick was brought in to the vet I work at with a broken wing on 4/30. I would have guessed it's age at less than a week old at the time. We surgically removed the wing not REALLY expecting it to survive the surgery/recovery. Well it's now 3 weeks later and "he" (we think) is thriving. He is MUCH larger/heavier than another chick we have that is about 1-1.5 weeks older. "She" (we think) is a cross of an Araucana and a mystery rooster we had, so we expect her to be smaller.
Any thoughts as to what kind of chicken this is? He has yellow legs with a black strip down the front of each one, a single comb, yellow beak with a black stripe over the top and the feathers are coming in black and white like a barred rock. Maybe thats what it is, it's just that he is SO MUCH larger and heavier that the other one or even other chicks we have had in the past at this age.
Thanks!!

Wow, what a bruiser he's going to be when he's older! Definitely male, and I'd very much believe a Barred Rock cross with an EE (hatcheries are notorious for selling EEs as Araucanas, which are highly uncommon birds).

Last edited:
That's not a barred rock - a full-blood BR rooster would be much lighter in color and crisp, clearly distinct barring.

That is probably a black sex link cockerel - if he gets reddish feathers in on his shoulders around 12 weeks or so, that's your man.

he doesnt look mixed but he does look a bit rough with his feathers coming i say hes a barred rock (not a mix) but please post pics when hes fully feathered out so we can be 100% positive that he's not a mix (as he could be a bsl)

That's not a barred rock - a full-blood BR rooster would be much lighter in color and crisp, clearly distinct barring.

That is probably a black sex link cockerel - if he gets reddish feathers in on his shoulders around 12 weeks or so, that's your man.
x2

Back
Top Bottom