Best hatchery to order from with a minimum 3 chick order?

Pics
Mixing breeds is fine, but some hatcheries are very limited on being able to ship only one of 2-3 different kinds of birds, so check with the hatchery. I have ordered from Cackle Hatchery many times and always been happy with them. Strong healthy chicks that turn into strong healthy birds. I ordered from Dunlap once (meat birds) and when I had over 50% death rate, I called them. Their response was that it sounded like I was doing everything right and that I might have had a "bad batch" but that I have to expect some loss with meat birds. No offer to replace them or even give me a partial refund. So they are very much on my bad list.

That's what I'm afraid of. If so can't keep them, no clue what I will do with them.
If you do happen to get a roo, are you on Facebook? Around here there is a local backyard chickens Facebook page and there are a few people who live outside the city that are frequently willing to take roosters. I was so relieved to find a pretty easy solution if a surprise roo landed in our flock.

I had an email from Chickens for Backyards and they said they were both pullets, one Easter Egger and one Barred Rock, both breeds that I had ordered. Relieved that they say not cockerels.
:celebrate

You still have the 90% accurate sexing guarantee but odds are they got the 2 extras right as pullets.

Yes, it is standard. Some hatcheries will refund the difference between the price of a pullet and a cockerel, others will refund the purchase price. I got lucky (I guess) with Meyer. The catalog says refund of purchase price but the website says refund of difference. The catalog says the info on the website "rules" if there is a discrepancy. They refunded the full price of over $10. Yes, I DID buy 2 each of a couple of more expensive breeds this time. In the past they have all been < $4.

BUT remember that is 90% of the order. If you order fewer than 10, any cockerel puts them over that 90%. If you order 10 and get a cockerel, nope, that is 90% accurate.

I don't like how they operate.
They are just a middle man that takes advantage of people wanting small orders.
People can go to a more mainstream hatchery buy 15 of the same quality birds for the price mpc charges for 3 to 5 chicks.
But besides that there's a lot of little things I don't like.
Such as taking an ameracauna which they sell for 18.25 and cross it with a salmon favorelles which they sell for 4.00 and then they sell the mixed chicks for 26.00.
They do the same with super blue eggers.
They just erk me with how they screw people.
Is there a better place for small orders?

What's the deal with the super blue Egger?

We ordered our small flock in 2013 from Meyers Hatchery. I think they have a small minimum order (can't remember the exact amount). I really liked this hatchery, and would definitely order from them again unless they didn't have what I was looking for (but they have a pretty good selection).
I just ordered from Meyers. Ordered 6, got 7. All are doing well. I love their customer service. They've been so helpful as I'm a new chicken mom.

Interesting, I ordered 7 and got 7. Did they have some "bakers 1/2 dozen" deal?
What did you get? The chicks I've gotten from them (7 this year, 7 in 2015) all came hale and hearty.

Is it ok to mix breeds? I really wanted Faverolles and just get all one breed since I read not to mix them but they seem hard to find.
I am torn between:
Buff Brahma
Plymouth Rock
Australorps
Red Stars
Lavinder Orp
Sussex
Barnvelder

We have a mixed flock and I love it that way. It is easier to tell your girls apart, you get to try out a variety of breeds and I think it looks great. The downside of having your chickens be more individual is when you lose one you know exactly which one it was. We had two Black Australorps and like them. They are by far the most vocal of our birds, not the most friendly but not unfriendly. I can't speak to any of the other breeds you mention (we have easter eggers, australorps, silver laced wyandottes, and cuckoo marans.

I agree with @troppoli, that is why I have a mixed flock. I can tell which hen laid each egg, I can figure out "who" is missing when I go to put them up for the night.

Never would get Faverolles again. They are placid with the other chickens but very noisy, don't lay well, go broody several times a year and the other chickens seem to dislike them having beards and pluck them clean. At least the ones I got from Ideal fit that description, other "strains" might be better birds.

Back
Top Bottom