Best Incubator for a first timer??

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
So I need to get an incubator (as I am starting a new breeding project), and I've been looking through reviews and doing weeks and weeks of research, but just about every incubator I've seen in my price range has some pretty terrifying horror stories in the reviews.
So I thought I'd better ask you all about your incubator experiences. 🙂
What I'm looking for is an incubator that is
A. In the $100-200 range
B. Fits between 20-40 large chicken eggs
C. Is fully automatic
D. Is reliable enough NOT to kill my chicks

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated! :)

Hovabator Genesis 1588
Preset temperature control and fan. My personal favorite. No egg turner but you can buy the Little Giant turner and use. Thats what I did. Its styrofoam but Ive never had trouble cleaning it.
genesisanglewht_2.jpg

Incuview
Preset temperature control and humidity gauge. Comes with egg turner and counts down to hatch day. Fully plastic and easy to clean and a large viewing window.

img_0743-web_2.jpg

Or Hovabator Still Air
Egg tuner not included but you can buy one.

hb_1602n.jpg

NurtureRight 360
Only holds 22 eggs but built in turner, egg candler, and temperature control. Turner automatically stops three days before hatching.
You can get it at TSC.
The other three you can buy at Incubatorwarehouse.com.

20190512_165611.jpg

I've got a nurture right 360 and I love it. I'd definitely recommend it to a first timer if you don't mind it being on the smaller side in regards to egg capacity. If you get it just make sure you've got the newer model (I think most available at this point are the newer model, I got mine last spring and it was the newer model). The old model had a fan guard that had holes that were too large and didn't have good protection for the electronics against humidity. The new model fixed those issues (you can easily tell which model you have by looking at the fan guard.) If you happen to get the old model you can contact the company and they will send the parts to fix it.

With any new incubator I never trust the displayed temperature and humidity until I've compared it to a calibrated hygrometer and thermometer. My nurture right 360 is pretty good in that regard but I've heard of them being a degree or so off (I have a brinsea that is over 4 degrees off and would have cooked my poor eggs if I hadn't checked first)! :barnie

Good luck finding a good incubator that fits your needs! :)

I always use a backup humidity gauge/ temperature gauge ( 3 in fact) , in my incubators, too. Gives me a more accurate idea exactly what exactly the humidity and temps really are. Most of the time its spot on with the displayed readings of the incubator.
I have a NR 360 also and its the newer model. I heard you can also get a foam insert to help prevent humidity from ruining the electronic parts.
Ive had good hatches in it but had trouble keeping the humidity up. It would be fine when I left for work, but be in the teens when I got home. Despite that, still had good outcomes.

Back
Top Bottom