Best Item to Block Nest Boxes from Sleep Roosting..

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
Am wondering the best way.. I don't want to necessarily block it totally because I know some of my gals lay really early and there would be many times I could not get to coop to unblock boxes so then the constant battle of floor laying would occur. I am wondering if a half material partition/curtain would work.. And the facts.. I have 6 boxes total in two sets of 3 stacked.. all boxes are lower than my roosts.. I push them out of the boxes nightly when I lock everyone up but obviously prior to me getting there they have already perched in some boxes and pooped!! I will also say that it does not seem to be the same violaters each night either.. one or two are regulars.. but tonight for some reason I had bonus hens and a rooster! ugh!!!
he.gif

I would start with how much roost space do they have and at what height? Does it get a cool breeze or is it still roasting from the day time? What's making the boxes inviting?

You can also just block the nesting boxes off after they are done laying for the day (should be by about 4) . When you go to lock them up at night open up the nesting boxes. They have settled down and aren't going to move. You might break the cycle in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom