Best killing knife (or other implement)

lilchickenz

Songster
10 Years
Jul 21, 2013
NWL Michigan
So yesterday I needed to kill one of my roos and this was only my 2nd time killing a chicken. I read this article https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/ and decided that decapitation would be the easiest. I didn't quite understand the cervical separation method described in the article. I have this knife: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPEMNU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's brand new and extremely sharp. Yet I was shocked by how much strength and pressure it took for me to cut off the entire head and unfortunately I had a false start causing the bird to suffer more than I would have liked :(. I'm wondering if there is a better knife or other implement that can be used with the cone? Also if using the knife where is the best place on the bird's neck to start the cut?

I never try to cut through the neck bones with my knife. Esesically my killing knife. I use a high carbon dexter sticking knife to cut the carotid artery and let the bird bleed, scald, pluck, then pull the head off at the cut site on the neck and cut the feet through the tendon at the "knee". But as long as you have your knife sharp, you can use it to make the kill cut. Learn how to sharpen your butchering knifes to a mirror finish and you can use any knife, but the more you hit bone and feather, the quicker it will dull and it will happen very fast if your not being picky about not touching the hard stuff with your super sharp knives. Use a very rigid and soft-steel (like stainless) boning knife for times when you might hit a bone.

Last edited:
I have gone to a PVC pipe cutter. It cuts through the neck bones easily. Even 6 months turkey. Sometimes leaves it attached by some skin
Screenshot_20210119-102313.png

Some have a replacement blade,
menards carries one.

I like the Idea of the PVC cutter Molpet posted. Easy and simple. Cones work but I need several and all the work to setup and store them. Last time I killed 9 roosters in 5 minutes easily.

I use a carpenters Hatchet as I have one around for splitting wood to start the smoker. I have some RR ties not far from the coop and some 2x4 scrap laying on them. I hang them upside down for 15 - 20 second by the feet. They get docile. Line the neck up on the block and off the head comes. Hold them another 20 - 30 seconds and into the sled if we killing a bunch of roosters.

hardcore-hammers-carpenters-hatchet-1.jpg

We’ve used tree loppers plus cone for more or less same effect as the PVC cutter mentioned above. Must keep sharp though! Head might still hang on by bit of skin or esophagus or tendon or something, but all the important stuff is cut and for all intents and purposes decapitated.

We’ve used tree loppers plus cone for more or less same effect as the PVC cutter mentioned above. Must keep sharp though! Head might still hang on by bit of skin or esophagus or tendon or something, but all the important stuff is cut and for all intents and purposes decapitated.
I used to use the tree looper.
Pro is it is easy to sharpen.
Con was I had issues with the uncooperative head going up the cone and I had to hold the head with one hand and try to work the lopper with the other hand.

I never try to cut through the neck bones with my knife. Esesically my killing knife. I use a high carbon dexter sticking knife to cut the carotid artery and let the bird bleed, scald, pluck, then pull the head off at the cut site on the neck and cut the feet through the tendon at the "knee". But as long as you have your knife sharp, you can use it to make the kill cut. Learn how to sharpen your butchering knifes to a mirror finish and you can use any knife, but the more you hit bone and feather, the quicker it will dull and it will happen very fast if your not being picky about not touching the hard stuff with your super sharp knives. Use a very rigid and soft-steel (like stainless) boning knife for times when you might hit a bone.
Would a sharp kitchen knife work to quickly slit the neck? Sadly it is time to start culling birds here and we're trying to make it as painless as possible. Thx,

Back
Top Bottom