Best Laying Chickens. Largest Egg laying chickens

I've never heard of a Giant Leghorn. That doesn't mean that someone, somewhere hasn't developed one. I don't really think there would be a reason to breed them, though. Leghorns lay very large eggs, and a lot of them. The larger the bird, the poorer the feed/conversion ratio. What that means is that you need to feed more food (ie. spend more $$$) feeding larger birds and you still get the same number and size of eggs.
Quote:
That's okay! We're all still learning!
big_smile.png

One more breed that should probably be on this list is Black Australorp. Mine has layed a very large brown egg at least 6x week since she started laying, right through winter. And they are easy to handle and friendly. I understand Buff Orpingtons would probably fall in this class, too, but have not had any.

Quote:
That's okay! We're all still learning!
big_smile.png

I have to agree with jerseys on feed/ratio. Those guys can eat! You don't get an egg every day, but about every 2-3 and they are the most docile birds even the roos.

golden sexlinks are great very large eggs,i have 16 hens and get 20 eggs a day,they just laied eggs three n a half inches long .normally two n a half inches but they are feed well.

One more breed that should probably be on this list is Black Australorp. Mine has layed a very large brown egg at least 6x week since she started laying, right through winter. And they are easy to handle and friendly. I understand Buff Orpingtons would probably fall in this class, too, but have not had any.

x2. I have 2 BAs and they seldom miss a day.

I like the Barred Rocks too and looking for best food ratio for largest hens too.Happy and Blessed new year to everyone.
Debbie in Cocoa,fl =)

Best of the best? RIR, leghorns, BAs, WRs, NHR...in that order. All four breeds will lay more consistently for more years than any other breeds I've known, with the RIR and Leghorns having the largest eggs.
You can't go wrong with sexlinks !!! My gold sexlinks lay bigger and more eggs then my RIR. My white leghorn is now 2 1/2 yrs old and still lays 5 eggs a week. they are so BIG I can't put them in an egg cartoon. Bl Australorp are good winter layers and one holds the record for most eggs in a year.

One breed that seems to be over looked here on BYC is the California White. It looks a lot like a white leghorn. It lays (white egg) about as well as the leghorn but is way more friendly then the leghorn. I have one that wants to come in the house all the time. I need to add to my flock this spring. I'm going with gold sexlinks,Cal. whites and a couple Bl. Australorps

You can't go wrong with sexlinks !!! My gold sexlinks lay bigger and more eggs then my RIR. My white leghorn is now 2 1/2 yrs old and still lays 5 eggs a week. they are so BIG I can't put them in an egg cartoon. Bl Australorp are good winter layers and one holds the record for most eggs in a year.

One breed that seems to be over looked here on BYC is the California White. It looks a lot like a white leghorn. It lays (white egg) about as well as the leghorn but is way more friendly then the leghorn. I have one that wants to come in the house all the time. I need to add to my flock this spring. I'm going with gold sexlinks,Cal. whites and a couple Bl. Australorps
I agree here. RSLs are the best I've had for egg size and consistency.

Leghorns are Premier layers. 2nd year hens will give you extra large eggs.

Food ratios of the leghorn to the other full sized breeds is far better. There is a reason that this breed is still preferred by many commercial egg factories.
The crosses of leghorns tend to be less flighty and thus more excepted for back yard chickens.

If your choice is solely on egg production and you are in a mild to warm climate.......Leghorns.

But you would miss out on the aspect of having the friendliest chickens. Sex Links, RIR's and even BR's are awesome layers and great pets. Just not quite as efficient on the feed.

Best of wishes!

Back
Top Bottom