Best material for the ground in duck pen? Is pea gravel okay?

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
I’m getting 1-year old ducks in a few weeks and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient material to use for the ground in their pen. They currently have pea gravel in their pen where they are now and their owners spray it down often. I will probably put a layer of pea gravel down at the bottom to level out their pen area and help with drainage but I worry about bumble foot issues. So I may add a layer of pine shavings on top of the gravel and try out the deep litter method. But another big thing for me is to keep the smell down since I have neighbors.

I’d love for you to share your experiences and advice!

I’m getting 1-year old ducks in a few weeks and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient material to use for the ground in their pen. They currently have pea gravel in their pen where they are now and their owners spray it down often. I will probably put a layer of pea gravel down at the bottom to level out their pen area and help with drainage but I worry about bumble foot issues. So I may add a layer of pine shavings on top of the gravel and try out the deep litter method. But another big thing for me is to keep the smell down since I have neighbors.

I’d love for you to share your experiences and advice!
Hi Twhi,

Your ducks will make it a mess quite quick..
I'm not completely sure is pine shavings are the best way to go outdoors.
When it get's wet it can get mouldy. In their coop it's a different story because you clean it out very often
Personally I've gravel and dirt. And they have big patch of grass to run on.

That said, I live in a reasonably cold and wet climate.

Ducks = mess. I have never found a way around it. My ducks spend their nights in a shelter/semi-open house where I put down vinyl flooring to try to alleviate the messiness in the half where they sleep. It's a failure.

They free range during the day and often walk across the gravel driveway without incident, but I don't know how they would do on pea gravel or any gravel ALL the time. Mine wander around on the yard, where they have managed to kill off great portions of anything green. I do throw straw onto the muddiest areas when it rains. But straw inside the shelter is not only messy, it reeks. Pine shavings are only slightly better.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It's a good thing ducks are lovable, because they are certainly a challenge when it comes to cleanliness.

I used hay, just pulled it out when it was dirty and filled their plastic house with fresh hay every other day. They had a predator proof dog kennel where I would feed and water them, and a medium/small grass pen to run around and forage in during the day. They really didn't tear it up that bad just kept the grass trimmed, that may be because I was constantly giving them chickweed and ground cherries with their fermented feed though. If they feel filled and satisfied they really shouldn't tear things up too bad, but that's just my experience. I'm interested in how the pea gravel works out, I've been thinking about ways to keep their watering area a little less muddy.

Hi Twhi,

Your ducks will make it a mess quite quick..
I'm not completely sure is pine shavings are the best way to go outdoors.
When it get's wet it can get mouldy. In their coop it's a different story because you clean it out very often
Personally I've gravel and dirt. And they have big patch of grass to run on.

That said, I live in a reasonably cold and wet climate.
I am definitely expecting messiness no matter what! I am hoping that by keeping their pool outside the pen for free ranging time will help minimize mess. They also have a 5-gallon bucket for their pen with holes on the side they can put their heads through that still allows them to dunk their heads in the water, but minimizes splashing water everywhere so that should help as well.

That’s good to know about the potential of pine shavings getting moldy.

Have you had any issues with Bumblefoot that you think may have been related to the gravel?

Ducks = mess. I have never found a way around it. My ducks spend their nights in a shelter/semi-open house where I put down vinyl flooring to try to alleviate the messiness in the half where they sleep. It's a failure.

They free range during the day and often walk across the gravel driveway without incident, but I don't know how they would do on pea gravel or any gravel ALL the time. Mine wander around on the yard, where they have managed to kill off great portions of anything green. I do throw straw onto the muddiest areas when it rains. But straw inside the shelter is not only messy, it reeks. Pine shavings are only slightly better.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It's a good thing ducks are lovable, because they are certainly a challenge when it comes to cleanliness.
I am fully expecting messiness! My goal is to let them free range in their portion of the yard during the day and put them in their house at night so they wouldn’t constantly be walking on gravel. But I would need to experiment with that and make sure that is a safe option for them first.

Like I mentioned in another reply, I will be keeping their pool outside their pen for free ranging time and their only water source inside their pen will be a 5 gallon bucket with holes in it that allow them to still dunk their heads but they won’t be able to splash around as much. I also won’t be allowing food or water in their house overnight. I’m hoping these things will help, but like I said, I totally expect messiness no matter what 😂 thanks for your response!

I am definitely expecting messiness no matter what! I am hoping that by keeping their pool outside the pen for free ranging time will help minimize mess. They also have a 5-gallon bucket for their pen with holes on the side they can put their heads through that still allows them to dunk their heads in the water, but minimizes splashing water everywhere so that should help as well.

That’s good to know about the potential of pine shavings getting moldy.

Have you had any issues with Bumblefoot that you think may have been related to the gravel?
No I havent but they walk mostly on grass. Poop on grass is not a problem if it's not your main route and they have enough space.
How many ducks are you getting? And which breed?

I used hay, just pulled it out when it was dirty and filled their plastic house with fresh hay every other day. They had a predator proof dog kennel where I would feed and water them, and a medium/small grass pen to run around and forage in during the day. They really didn't tear it up that bad just kept the grass trimmed, that may be because I was constantly giving them chickweed and ground cherries with their fermented feed though. If they feel filled and satisfied they really shouldn't tear things up too bad, but that's just my experience. I'm interested in how the pea gravel works out, I've been thinking about ways to keep their watering area a little less muddy.
Good to know, thank you!
The family that has the ducks I’ll be getting in a few weeks uses pea gravel and they spray it down to drain the poop daily. Ideally I would like to do this too but I’m worried about rocks being too sharp on their feet and don’t want to have to deal with Bumblefoot because that’s no fun for the ducks (or me!)
Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom