Best methods for moving our flock?

loriamarosa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
We are moving across town. Our 2 chickens, Sammy and Buttercup,are coming along inside their coop. It will fit inside of our truck.
Our new yard does not have adequate fencing so they will probably be cooped up for a week or so while we work that out.
Do chickens get really stressed over moving? We were on vacation several months ago so our chickens were cooped up for 5 days and when we returned, Buttercup laid in a corner of our yard for a day or so and didn't move around much. Like she had gotten sick from the stress. I am looking for ideas on how to minimize 1) the moving stress for our chickens and 2) the cooped up stress.
Thanks!

I should add that what I mean by cooped up is having access to a small run attached to their coop, as well as their coop.

They should be fine cooped up with the run. In fact that would allow them the time to scope out the new yard with out having to venture in it. You might want to give them some distractions to peck at and scratch in, especially if the new site for the run doesn't have grass in.

Back
Top Bottom