Best morphs to breed with this male?

JudgeChunk

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
I have this male button quail whom I've been having trouble finding the morph of. He has a light grey belly and wing tips.

I figured why not and start my own color project. The ultimate goal is maybe a white, fallow or Ivory with the blue face. Probably impossible but hey doesn't hurt to dream. Lmao

Any suggestions on what females I should cross him with to get some variation in color but possibly retain the face marking in the males?

Attachments

• 20210501_095602.jpg
    20210501_095602.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210501_095614.jpg
    20210501_095614.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210501_095559.jpg
    20210501_095559.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 10
I think that color might be called Vader but honestly I'm a little rusty on their genetics ^^" What sort of females do you have access to?
Currently I only have 2 females. I wanted to get another but they sell for $35 and only in the standard color.

Attachments

• 20210429_184752.jpg
    20210429_184752.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 8
Currently I only have 2 females. I wanted to get another but they sell for $35 and only in the standard color.
Oh cool, do you have like an actual store nearby that sells them? I've never seen one before, so I was always limited to the occasional breeder or craigslist ad within a few hours of my home haha! I think either of those ladies could make fantastic babies with him, it's for sure worth a shot!

Oh cool, do you have like an actual store nearby that sells them? I've never seen one before, so I was always limited to the occasional breeder or craigslist ad within a few hours of my home haha! I think either of those ladies could make fantastic babies with him, it's for sure worth a shot!
Sadly it's actually a reptile store. They don't specialize in quail, they just sell the eggs for reptile food.

Also no luck on Craigslist. All coturnix. 😔 Hopefully he gets it together and actually does his job. Lol

Yep a darth vader !!!! (Always wanted one) Breed him to the whitish looking one , but you can if big enough and they accept each other with no fighting be kept 1 male 2 female, also you can just pair him up with the whitish one then take him out and put him in the normal females cage to hump a bit then put him back with his mate, i lost a male and his wife basicly tries to steal the other male and he seems ok to breed her when alone(the lil cheater) i stopped him each time ( she chitters at him asking for it) cuz i was getting the last of the eggs with the other males dna out to hatch.
They are actually already in an enclosure together. He grooms them. Lol There's also a single Tibetan coturnix female in there. He was raised with her so they kind of bonded in a way. Oddly he only humps her not the other quail. It's hilarious to watch him try and she continues on eating or sleeping.

I've been meaning to rehome the coturnix but the two call for each other when several.

I have this male button quail whom I've been having trouble finding the morph of. He has a light grey belly and wing tips.

I figured why not and start my own color project. The ultimate goal is maybe a white, fallow or Ivory with the blue face. Probably impossible but hey doesn't hurt to dream. Lmao

Any suggestions on what females I should cross him with to get some variation in color but possibly retain the face marking in the males?
Yep a darth vader !!!! (Always wanted one) Breed him to the whitish looking one , but you can if big enough and they accept each other with no fighting be kept 1 male 2 female, also you can just pair him up with the whitish one then take him out and put him in the normal females cage to hump a bit then put him back with his mate, i lost a male and his wife basicly tries to steal the other male and he seems ok to breed her when alone(the lil cheater) i stopped him each time ( she chitters at him asking for it) cuz i was getting the last of the eggs with the other males dna out to hatch.

They are actually already in an enclosure together. He grooms them. Lol There's also a single Tibetan coturnix female in there. He was raised with her so they kind of bonded in a way. Oddly he only humps her not the other quail. It's hilarious to watch him try and she continues on eating or sleeping.

I've been meaning to rehome the coturnix but the two call for each other when several.
You might have to separate them for one its dangerous even when raised after a time unless you get super lucky weird things happen, plus he might have bonded to her they are known to be monogamous and most of the time loyal, have the two button females laid eggs yet or the coturnix female?

If you do rehome or move the coturnix he will pick a new mate after a bit

Back
Top Bottom