Best Natured Rooster?

I have sebright serama and my grandfather has a rir rooster and they are all very nice but my other grandfather has a new hampshire red and he is mean as a snake but I personally think it is all about how they are raised.
smile.png

Quote:
My RIR rooster is the nicest rooster ever! He such a gentleman too! My EE Roos, on the other hand, is a whole other story! MEAN!

My BR rooster is a meanie. He started attacking me when he hit puberty. Now, I am the only one who goes in the run with him. I tried to let my 5 year old daughter get eggs, while I protected her, and he tried to get her too. But, he does a wonderful job protecting the girls from predators during the day. And he's kind to them, shares treats, etc. So, I'm keeping him around through the winter. Once I get a broody hen, I plan to find a place who has nice Favorelles and but some hatching eggs from them. I have heard they're the nicest roosters, and they sure are pretty. I would also like an Easter Egger roo.

I believe that the breed and genetics plays a big part of it.

I have Silver Sebright and White Rock roos. The SS roos are feisty little guys. They are good around me but not with others. They will on occasion give me a leg bump as an effort to intimidate me.

My WR roos are a totally different story. They don't have an aggressive bone in their bodies. They're not lap birds either. I can catch them and hold them but they're not too keen on the whole idea.

I have a Buff Brahma rooster that is pretty nice. He isn't the pet that Brahmas are often know for, but he isn't aggressive at all. He mostly minds his business and keeps watch over his hens. He's the easiest bird to catch in the coop, but free-ranging he will herd his girls away from anybody (people, dogs, hawks)

For me, game roosters that have been handled properly are very personable. They are easy to train so as to come to me when called by name and they will fly up into hand. They are trustworthy enough to be used in enounters with children not familiar with chickens.

See link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407880

Hens of same line would normally flog your face off but if properly conditioned when young, then even they can be tamed enough to allow extenive handling of offspring.

41527_sallie_and_bitties_2011_april_25.jpg

Hen will even take chicks up on my chest when I lay on ground.

41527_dsc00277.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If you like Wyandottes and Cochins it sounds like you like the big-bottom chickens like me. If that's the case, you might want to take a look at English Orpingtons, one of the imported ones. There's a thread here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386051

You could probably get a really nice one in the fall when breeders are looking for good homes for their extra cockerels. My experience with them has been nothing but positive. I've had four Wyandottes that were nice and one that wasn't but all my orp boys have been gentle giants. They're just so calm. My Ameraucanas are my clowns and I love them, but I like the "chilled out" nature of my orps.

The good news about shopping for a flock rooster is that it's a buyers market. You can shop around and talk to breeders and really get a great one, especially if you just want a great personality and wouldn't mind a fault or two.

Disclaimer (that you probably already knew): Small children should never be left unattended with any rooster.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Quote:
What you say above is only half true. Chickens should not be left unattended with any small children. Small children can also hurt birds as I was able as while growing up. I was flogged many times when small and in almost every instance, the threat to the birds was me trying to catch chicks or adults. Kids need to be taught how to behave appropriately around chickens and animals in general. Until skill set developed, watchful parental eyes a must.

I agree with the other post..orphingtons are really gentle (I have two young roosters and they will eat out of my hand) and barred rocks (the most handsome of the two breeds) are pretty calm too...stay away from Rhode Islands or at least don't turn your back!!!!

Back
Top Bottom