"Best Nest Box"

I Agree with New2chicks; there will be lines for one place while others are left empty. IMHO and experience, they like darker areas to lay. Some days I find more in the old cat carrier on the back porch, more light, sometimes More UNDER the Front porch, less light. There's a place, Behind an old pickup door, sitting on the back porch. Straw behind it & Has a cloth over it, less light. Sometimes 2 eggs, sometimes 8. I've used pine needles, straw, hay, shavings. I'm FAR too cheap to buy fake eggs; golf balls, large beads work just fine.
Aside from the heat, already mentioned when using metal sheds, Your idea sounds good. Try small, with just a few chickens, learn from them, what's comfortable. Good Luck!!

When I was building my coop, I researched the roll-out nest boxes. I found one online that I liked, bought it, and then built it in to my coop wall (made special space for it). Now that my chickens are laying, they use the floor, the droppings board, and a few use my nice rollout nest box. Since I realized that my only option for them was the rollout nest box, I broke down and bought a couple of plastic nest boxes on a whim when I was shopping at TSC a few weeks ago. I put them low in the corners - the best I could - of the coop where they were laying. I added fake eggs to the new nest boxes as well. My thought here is that with three nest boxes now, and two of them in the corners that they were already laying, I'd at least get them all in nest boxes. The new ones are just a simple hop up and in, in the area they were already happily laying.

So, now, the hen that was using the droppings board, has moved to the roll out nest box. The others, upset with the new encroaching nest boxes have resorted to laying on the floor in the middle of the coop, or in the cramped little space that is left in the corners of the coop - next to the new nest boxes. Oh, and just for a bit of humiliation, they've resorted to pushing the fake eggs out of the new nest boxes a couple of times. Sort of taunting me, I think.

My plan tomorrow is to take the fake eggs out of the new nest boxes. I guess they are proving that they will go in there since they have kicked the fakes out. Maybe they are telling me, "Yeah, we get what these or for, you don't need to insult our intelligence with fake eggs." In the end, I have yet to have any broken eggs, or other issues with the laying, other than the location. Truth be told, they're still laying in a warm, dry, coop and other than losing a wits match to a bunch of chickens, in the big picture, everything is fine. If there was a pressing reason, I'd try more options to force the issue, but for a max of 8 eggs a day, it's lower on the priority list.

Anyway, from my experience, I'd say give them warm, safe, easily accessible nest box options in a style and price point that fits your needs and go from there. If you're lucky, they'll agree with you.

Thank you Chad Oftedal,
I have a lot to learn.

I Agree with New2chicks; there will be lines for one place while others are left empty. IMHO and experience, they like darker areas to lay. Some days I find more in the old cat carrier on the back porch, more light, sometimes More UNDER the Front porch, less light. There's a place, Behind an old pickup door, sitting on the back porch. Straw behind it & Has a cloth over it, less light. Sometimes 2 eggs, sometimes 8. I've used pine needles, straw, hay, shavings. I'm FAR too cheap to buy fake eggs; golf balls, large beads work just fine.
Aside from the heat, already mentioned when using metal sheds, Your idea sounds good. Try small, with just a few chickens, learn from them, what's comfortable. Good Luck!!

Thank you BullMtnFords,
Good advise.

Conventional box type of nest boxes = poop on the eggs and hens all wanting to use the same nest box. I built a roll out nest box that is big enough for several hens and have seen 5 at one time in it. When asking about a commercial item a link to the item does help.

My Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 plans. The next one I build will be a bit deeper.

JT

Back
Top Bottom