Best Nutrition for my

pfewless

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
Rooster?
Aged non laying hens?
Laying hens?

I have read that I need to change the protien level durring the laying versus molting time in my Laying hens. Is this true?
Is there on food I can fee all of them rather than have to buy so many different ones? If I suppliment with kitchen scraps and ACV in the water?

Rooster?
Aged non laying hens?
Laying hens?

I have read that I need to change the protien level durring the laying versus molting time in my Laying hens. Is this true?
Is there on food I can fee all of them rather than have to buy so many different ones? If I suppliment with kitchen scraps and ACV in the water?

Simplest solution to this is to feed a grower ration - I use Purina Flock Raiser. Offer calcium on the side (oyster shell) for those birds who are in production to take - the rest of the birds may peck at it to investigate it, but they won't consume it like your laying hens will. The advantage of feeding a grower ration is increased protein and avoidance of the issue of excess calcium being consumed by birds who don't need it.

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all when it comes to feeding poultry. Different species have different nutrient requirements, as do different ages of the same specie, and trying to meet everyone's needs with one product simply will not work well. It can even be dangerous, as I just described in my post regarding feeding layer feed to chicks. If you have adult non-laying birds, either molting or non-molting, I recommend feeding the Flockraiser product. This will provide a little extra protein to molting birds for feather regrowth, and it will give non-laying birds a diet that does not have the high calcium needed by laying birds. You could also feed the Start&Grow if you want a little lower-calorie feed. Feeding a good-quality feed that is appropriate for the age/production stage of any animal is the best way to maximize nutrition without having to resort to a lot of different supplements that may actually contribute to an unbalanced diet. Kitchen scraps can be a lovely treat, but they should not comprise more than 10% of the bird's daily diet. Think of scraps and scratch grains as M&M's for birds; fun to eat and a nice treat, but you wouldn't want to make a meal of them (well, OK, you might want to if you really like them, like I do, but it would not be the healthiest meal you could eat!).

Back
Top Bottom