Best overall duck feed?

I raised them on duckling pellets I believe they were Purina but switched about a month ago because I had to drive very far to get the pellets. I'll have to try and find a good source nearby hopefully I'll be able to find a little feed store, there is a pet store that carries rhe mazuri near me but they try to sell it for like $70 per bag so not gonna ever do that, but they do sell it by the pound so I might try a little to see how they like it.
Yikes, I pay $40 for a 40lb bag of Mazuri. My local feed store stocks the maintenance and will order the starter for me. If you have a lock feed store that carries Purina, they should order the Mazuri for you. It is made by Purina.

I feed an All Flock pellet (Sprout brand) from Fleet Farm. I know not everyone has one of those around since it's Midwest only, but it's 14.99/50 lb bag and I can feed it to my chickens, one guinea, and my Muscovy. They get to go outside everyday and forage for whatever they can find on top of that, and occasionally I give them carrot peels, brussels sprout trimmings, etc. I've had no issues with using it at all. I think pellet form is much nicer than crumbles. They eat it all up and don't waste any!

I found a store about 5 miles away that carries MannaPro brand Duck Layer Pellets. Anyone know if those are any good?
I used it for a few months and then my feed store stopped carrying it. It seemed fine although the picture that they had on the bag, at that time, did not fill me with confidence.
C173E764-4CEA-4DD7-8CC9-FBCEB7B8A302.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to the pet store near me that sells the Mazuri feed for 70 bucks, I was hoping they carried some other cheaper kind of duck layer but they just had a lot of different kinds of Purina chicken feed but the only duck feed they had was the Mazuri, I ended up buying a few lbs of it and mixing it in with what is left of the chicken feed I've been feeding my scovies. There is one more feed store near me but they don't have any information online so I'll have to go there tomorrow and see if they have any good duck layer pellets. If not I'll just go with the MannaPro ones

I'm always wondering this as well. I feed mine naturewise soy free chicken layer feed cut with whole oats, and in the evening I give them a fatty snack before bed of corn, BOS, and peanuts. I took a picture of the feed ingredients.

Attachments

• 20201206_114715.jpg
    20201206_114715.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 9
I used to feed Purina Flock Raiser or Layena pellets until my Rouen almost died from reproductive issues at the beginning of September. At that time, her Veterinarian recommended switching to Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance due to, I believe, the Calcium/Phosphorous ratio (don’t quote me on that). I switched immediately. I don’t know if there’s a difference as Daphne immediately stopped laying for the season after her crisis and my Muscovy hens have always been perfectly healthy no matter what they have been fed. Along with the Mazuri, I feed mealworms as a treat + a variety of greens and a small amount of cracked corn in cold weather. In laying season, I offer oyster shell free choice. I’ll let you know this summer how things go with Daphne on the Mazuri. She’s always had reproductive issues that flare mid-summer and more seriously in early fall. We will see!
I know this is an old post, but how did Daphne do after switching? I have a Rouen, SweetPea, who's been having issues as well and I'm scared she's going to be egg bound or get an infection. And my other Rouen, Buttercup, started having issues this year as well (this oddly started RIGHT after a fox got one of my other girls and during the extreme air quality issues from the Canada fires this year, but it hasn't improved and it's been about 2 mo). They currently get the basic Dumor layer pellets (not duck specific)

Back
Top Bottom