Best Photo Yet of Ever-Bolder Fox

Quote:
No you cannot in Maine, unless you dispose of the body! lol...Even racoons are season only animals, just not in my back yard, once I see them going after my "livelyhood" I tend to take matters into my own hands.
I had a neighbor that was plegued by a relocated bear that was driven down from where it was located (come on game folks), the bear had eaten a 50lb bag of layer pellets that he stored in a metal can in his hen house, he went out and shot the bear and he was almost taken to the hooscow over it. Legally if its a relocated animal, they will relocate it.
Grrr-so mums the word.

Bear may be different but I know that you can shoot anything that is endangering your livestock (raccoon, fox, etc.) in Maine even if ot out of season.

Last edited:
Well, it's nearly 11:00PM Saturday night, and my husband is literally up a tree.
lol.png
He put his climbing stand up really high with a view across the chicken-yard, and he left the three remaining pullets in a heavy-duty wire cage (dog-show crate) on the outside of the pen as "bait." Cross your fingers, hold your breath, and say a prayer.

Here in VA they are managed and you cannot hunt them out of season, not sure about laws protecting livestock. Coyotes on the otherhand can be shot on sight any time of the year. I've got a pair of red foxes here on the property, but haven't seen them anywhere near the house or chickens, SSS will apply if they come near. I've got another problem, deer are eating my garden. I put a 4' fence around it, which I know they can jump but I hoped it would deter them. I saw one 3 times on the edge of the yard near the garden yesterday, once right at the fence getting ready to jump it. I put a camera up last night and didn't get any pics but I'm sure it will be back. I'll use the SGE (shoot, grill, eat) method on the deer if it keeps eating my veggies.

If your husband didn't have any luck in the treestand, he should try calling the fox in, distressed rabbit call or something similar should do the trick.

Here are some local predators my son and I took during the legal hunting season.

bobcat2.jpg

redfox.jpg

grayfox.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
You better check the game laws. You don't need a license to hunt on your own property, but you have to follow all seasons and game laws including tagging and checking deer, turkey, and bear, and all furs need to be stamped by someone licensed by the game commission.

well i know this is a little late... but my husband is a game warden, and the regulations vary from state to state on different animals, whether or not it is on your property, so forth and so on. you should actually ask your fish and game people if you can set out poison for that fox, some states will let you do that out of hunting season, if the animal is causing stress or harm to your livestock.

I belong to the SSS crowd, Shoot It, Shovel It, Shut Up.

Though I would prolly skin it and tan the fur for later use. I have a right to protect my personal property wether the state like its or not. I would draw a line at something like an Eagle or Hawk, but on the ground its going to die.

*edited to remove political slant*

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
This is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE for everywhere in the U.S. Not true for ANYWHERE in the U.S. that I know of. Even on your own property, you cannot hunt any game that is "out of season". It's called poaching whether you own the property or not, and if you get caught, you can get very hefty fines or jail time. There can be exceptions for a nuisance predator that attacks livestock, but you'd better have the proof to back it up.

Back
Top Bottom