Best Photo Yet of Ever-Bolder Fox

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
From the Game-Cam, last night. We have two cams set up, at different angles, and in this shot, he's standing DIRECTLY in front of the gate to the chicken-yard, staring right at the camera--it probably caught his attention when it flashed to take his picture. We're trying everything to catch this guy, and waiting for a rep from Game & Fish to come out to advise us and also hopefully grant us a license for out-of-season "hunting" on our property to protect our livestock.

2596142603_3b29d5e8a1.jpg

Oh wow.....he is mighty brave standing there. Can we say 10ft tall and bullet proof!! I hope you get the info you need to take care of this critter before he does any damage.

We have not had any breaches by raccoon or fox since the serious electric fence went up. (fingers crossed)

I'm hoping we can hold him off until we get some guidance. We're trying to do everything totally above board. We have all kinds of traps, and Alex is a darn good shot. First chance he gets, he's going to use his climbing tree-stand, and stake the guy out all night.

Are you sure you need a permit for out of season hunting?

It has always been my understanding that you can hunt anything in any season on your own property except endangered or protected wildlife.

Is this not true everywhere in the US?

He is a bold one!

I'd say this is one of those times when I'd use someone else's suggestion in another thread... SSS - shoot it, shovel it and shut up about it. And I also thought that on your own property, a predator was fair game in or out of season. Good luck getting him!

Quote:
Apparently not. Alex spoke to three different people at Game & Fish, and was told that they need to send a rep out to our place, have him review our setup and see any evidence of predation (we have the gamecam pics and we saved some mangled bodies from our 10 wk old chicks), and then they will most likely grant us a license to dispatch predators who are a threat to our livestock. The rules in Arkansas do look a little stiffer for "furbearers," and the season on them doesn't start until September. Even then, there are restrictions on what type of weapons you can use. Trapping is a whole other enchilada.

I wouldn't have necessarily thought to ask "permission" first, but for the suggestion of a kind BYCer, and I'm glad he warned us, because we, too, thought you could pretty much kill anything that was threatening your livestock. Maybe you can, if you catch them in the act?

Back
Top Bottom