Best place to buy a new flock of chicks?

MrChicken204

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for the best online outlet for starting a new flock?

I've had chickens in the past and am back in a place where I can start over. I've researched my breeds and want a variety this time around for different colored eggs. Any past experiences with the big suppliers like my pet chicken, meyers, or cackle hatchery? Any others? Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would find the hatchery that is closest to you and look at reviews. Now that it's getting cold the overnight temp may be too cold for chicks and you could have more losses, depending on where you live. Also look for a hatchery that has next day shipping. I ordered online from TSC this past Feb and didn't realized their chicks come from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa & it took 2 1/2 days for them to get to me and only 9 of the 11 made it. I bought chicks in store from TSC which also get their chicks from the same hatchery & they were all fine, but the stores don't have them now.
You might be lucky and find a hatchery close to you. I went to TSC to order and didn't realize Meyer's Hatchery was only a couple hours away from us. A lot of other people suggest Mypetchicken.com though I've never used them. Also depending on what type of chickens you want you may have to wait until spring to order because of availability.

Ideal Poultry generally has very hardy chicks. They don't have a minimum number but you do need to spend a minimum dollar amount. They have a wide range of breeds to pick from. And all my Easter Eggers (labeled Ameraucana) from there have been pure for blue shell gene.

My best experiences were with Cackle, and Murray McMurray. I was not as pleased with Meyer's. Do see who's close to you, and within driving distance would be nice if it's a good place.
Your breed choices matter too. Enjoy the catalogs!!! Mary

Your general location in your profile would be helpful for folks to give appropriate advice. I would never consider ordering chicks here, unless it was spring/summer/early fall. Even then, with the best shipping temps, I'm at the end of the line, both in relation to distance from any large hatcheries, and as far as local postal delivery in my state goes.

I've done Cackle and MMc. Both have been good to work with.

Location matters all year but even more so when there is risk of cold weather. It isn't just what's outside your door but what's happening where the hatchery is and locations where the mail stops in between. I also can tell you from recent experience that the postal service is already slowing down with holiday volume and it's only going to get worse over the next six weeks.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I won't be ready to order and have chicks delivered until spring time. GREAT point about avoiding the holidays though, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm in Oklahoma and we have a few small NPIP hatcheries but the variety of chickens isn't very wide. Cackle is not far from me, over in Missouri, and hearing that people have had decent experiences with them helps a lot. They seem to hatch the majority of their own chicks, too.

I ordered from McMurray for my original flock and had a great experience ordering both chicks and starter pullets. This past year I ordered hatching eggs in the spring from My Pet Chicken with great service and products. Just got a shipment of baby chicks this week from My Pet Chicken. Ordering was easy and my chicks showed up happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom