Best pre-made coop?

The Medium OverEZ is about $440 cheaper than the 4X5 coop in my area (also Amish made) the OvezEz is a bit bigger..... Please keep me/us posted about this coop.

Thanks

I definitely will, the $100 off (month of May), free shipping and no tax made it a no brainer for me. I would have spent as much getting someone to build it. I ordered last Tuesday, and my stuff is arriving today before noon. I could have had it on Tuesday but I was going to be home today. I'm patiently waiting for the call from the freight company...

I doubt I'll get it put together right away, I need to flatten out the area more in the yard. The video on their website LOOKS simple. We will see!

The video on their website LOOKS simple.
The one I saw missed step 2 ETA: My error.....
....assembly looked good and easy, hope it goes together well for you.
Top roost looked too close to wall, should be 12" away.
Gonna need to add more ventilation, I'd replace solid soffit with HC, if it opens to coop.

Yeah I'm going to get it put together and see what it needs. I can do the modifications, I'm just not skilled enough to design and build from scratch. I already have hardware cloth to go over the windows.

Here is the drawing. That shows one panel. The panel is 12x4 LxH. That is the panel with the door. I'll take some more pictures of the actual pen later
image.jpeg

We bought a kit from Thegardencoop.com and absolutely love it. It took my husband and our neighbor three weekends to build. It was the first building project either one of them took on. They nailed it (hehe)! The kit came with all the hardware needed to build the coop and very detailed instructions, along with a list of all the materials needed (lumber, chicken wire etc) The owner was very quick to respond to our questions during the building process and super helpful. http://www.thegardencoop.com/

It is not hard to do. A days project.
I got so frustrated looking at all those prefabs with their flimsy runs, an just gave up and decided to create my own from scratch.

I draw ALOT when ideas pop into my bean head. This is what I originally put on paper for my run...
Garden-02.jpg

and ended up with this...
Outdoor Run 005.jpg

even with my chicken observation deck and I'll have a small chute behind that spool of hardware cloth to toss an occasional treat if I don't feel like going in the run. The planter beds aren't done yet.
Outdoor Run 008.jpg

A coop can be as simple or complex as you want, and one can be built in a day, especially a small one, or go to Craigs List and try to find a decent sized dog house and modify it. Reclaimed materials can work just fine and save you a bunch of money.

Good luck with whatever you come up with for your coop and run. I have all the lumber for my coop in the garage, but it keeps getting modified before I start cutting. --BB

Last edited:
If you go with a pre-made coop be sure to weather seal it. Paint it with regular ole barn paint would be fine. I got one from Tractor Supply and didn’t do anything to it. It will be fire wood after just 2 seasons.

I went to Lowes and bought a 8x10 shed and converted it in to a coop. Significantly more than $200 though.

This is the dilemma I’m having as well. I know I want to use a dog run with a cover for the area I want to put it, but the actually coop is the headache. We live in northern Ohio so I needs to be up off the ground, but all of the pre-made ones are either low to the ground, cheap materials, and/or have a run attached. Frustrating for sure!

Back
Top Bottom