Best Red Hen

pennygirl

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2015
I had a production red named Penny. I lost her to cancer after three great years. She came when I called and she would never run away when I tried to pick her up like my sister's brown leg horn. I loved my red hen and I want another but with all the red hens out there I was wondering which one would be best. I'm looking for an egg layer with a friendly docile personality. I also wanted to know if her being a production red, which I'm told is a mix, could have anything to do with her getting cancer and laying rough eggs?

Production Reds are very docile and great egg layers. Rescuing Battery hens can also be very fufilling and my exbattery hen is very sweet and docile. Rhode Island Reds are also easy to tame

Being a production red doesn't make them any more likely to get cancer, it's just bad luck. :(

Production reds are bred to lay tons of eggs which can stress their system and causes a shorter lifespan then some other breeds of chickens. As for temperament it really depends on the individual chicken (leghorns are the exception in my experience, I have never heard of a tame leghorn). Rhode Island Reds can be very tame but are often bullies to other chickens. New Hampshire reds are usually pretty tame also. (and I love Buff Orpingtons cause they are so sweet but they are buff colored not red)

Production reds are bred to lay tons of eggs which can stress their system and causes a shorter lifespan then some other breeds of chickens. As for temperament it really depends on the individual chicken (leghorns are the exception in my experience, I have never heard of a tame leghorn). Rhode Island Reds can be very tame but are often bullies to other chickens. New Hampshire reds are usually pretty tame also. (and I love Buff Orpingtons cause they are so sweet but they are buff colored not red)

My leghorn was very tame!

I agree with you on buff Orpingtons though, they are so sweet!

I have had many leghorns over the years. My experience with them makes me wonder why everyone else claims they are flighty scaredy cats. My chickens are not "pets" but they know me and trust me. They are not flighty, they are the first ones to meet me at the coop door.

Red Sexlinks.Can be sexed at birth,and are very,very docile,if they are treated right.I have a Red Sexlink who talks to me like i'm a baby chick,she also lets me pick her up.She is one of the best egg layers we have ever had,all of our sex links have been.Sometime s if we sit down she will come join you.My other sexlinks are also just as sweet,some a little more.But they are also hardy,and don't get sick easily,I have never had any of them get sick,even with this wet cold weather.

I have had many leghorns over the years. My experience with them makes me wonder why everyone else claims they are flighty scaredy cats. My chickens are not "pets" but they know me and trust me. They are not flighty, they are the first ones to meet me at the coop door.
But they are almost always flightly.

My leghorn pullet who died was ok,but she could be a little flightly.But I think she was different because she was a flock leader.

Back
Top Bottom