Best Red Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennygirl, Dec 28, 2015.

1. pennygirl

pennygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I had a production red named Penny. I lost her to cancer after three great years. She came when I called and she would never run away when I tried to pick her up like my sister's brown leg horn. I loved my red hen and I want another but with all the red hens out there I was wondering which one would be best. I'm looking for an egg layer with a friendly docile personality. I also wanted to know if her being a production red, which I'm told is a mix, could have anything to do with her getting cancer and laying rough eggs?

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Production Reds are very docile and great egg layers. Rescuing Battery hens can also be very fufilling and my exbattery hen is very sweet and docile. Rhode Island Reds are also easy to tame

Being a production red doesn't make them any more likely to get cancer, it's just bad luck. :(

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Production reds are bred to lay tons of eggs which can stress their system and causes a shorter lifespan then some other breeds of chickens. As for temperament it really depends on the individual chicken (leghorns are the exception in my experience, I have never heard of a tame leghorn). Rhode Island Reds can be very tame but are often bullies to other chickens. New Hampshire reds are usually pretty tame also. (and I love Buff Orpingtons cause they are so sweet but they are buff colored not red)

4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    My leghorn was very tame!

I agree with you on buff Orpingtons though, they are so sweet!

5. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Really! Wow, that's amazing, must be one of the few leghorns who isn't deathly afraid of people lol.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have had many leghorns over the years. My experience with them makes me wonder why everyone else claims they are flighty scaredy cats. My chickens are not "pets" but they know me and trust me. They are not flighty, they are the first ones to meet me at the coop door.

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Red Sexlinks.Can be sexed at birth,and are very,very docile,if they are treated right.I have a Red Sexlink who talks to me like i'm a baby chick,she also lets me pick her up.She is one of the best egg layers we have ever had,all of our sex links have been.Sometime s if we sit down she will come join you.My other sexlinks are also just as sweet,some a little more.But they are also hardy,and don't get sick easily,I have never had any of them get sick,even with this wet cold weather.

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    But they are almost always flightly.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    New Hampshire reds too.

I have a rooster who is great!Also a few hens who have been good to us.

10. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    My leghorn pullet who died was ok,but she could be a little flightly.But I think she was different because she was a flock leader.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by