Best rooster breed poll

X2 what Frazzemrat1 said. I've had 5 different Araucana cocks/cockerels, from 2 unrelated lines, and never once have any of them ever shown any signs of aggression towards a human being or other flock member. Even through the supposed "ornery cockerel stage". Even more astounding is how the cocks/cockerels get along with each other. I kept 3 brothers, 2 sisters and the mother together until the age of 8 months old with ZERO abuse of the pullets or cockerel fights. Each cockerel paired up with a female and did not try to steal anyone else's mate nor did they fight over them. I have seen this in other Araucana breeder's flocks too, 2-3 cocks in with 8-10 hens. They are the poster child for docile.
As far as flock leaders go, they are EXTREMELY predator alert. My older cock and one of the cockerels helps the hens build their nests and will sometimes stand next to them while they lay. They tidbit constantly and none of my females are overmated or barebacked.
Excellent thank you!

I've had Three good roos and a few bad ones.
My bad ones have all been Easter eggers.
My best:
Salmon Faverole
a mixed breed roo (Uggo)
Sumatra (current - best roo!)

After researching this breed I would agree with you. Are they easy to obtain?
I would say they are not the easiest breed to obtain. Not a lot of people raising them or know about them so they're not going to do well with your poll.
But with a few decades of raising chickens and having probably over 100 different breeds over the years I've never seen a breed of rooster that was as friendly and overall a perfect rooster.
I'm not a fan of trying to have roosters as "pets" but this breed won't have it any other way. I had a couple roosters but one in particular was my buddy from day one until we lost him about 3 years later.
I couldn't do anything out doors without his involvement or at least close supervision. I can't tell you how many times he ended up with paint on himself. His favorite was getting in the middle of anything I was trying to paint.
I also remember I always had to keep a watchful eye for him when I pulled in, parked and hopped out of the truck because he was always chasing the truck and standing next to the door when I got home and out of the truck.
I had heard they were known as the friendliest breed of chicken. Back then I did get a little irritated at times cause he was always under foot but now I kinda miss it at times.
I highly recommend the breed to anyone that are new to birds and looking for a first good rooster.

View attachment 1761501
Not sure exactly what breed he is but he’s definitely a good rooster. He’s very protective of his hens, only attacking if we try to pick up a hen and she starts clucking. He’s eaten snakes and scared off a hawk once.
See, that was the thing with my araucana... my daughter loves to snuggle the chickens... he would watch her, but never attacked her, or anybody else, for picking up the girls.

I would say they are not the easiest breed to obtain. Not a lot of people raising them or know about them so they're not going to do well with your poll.
But with a few decades of raising chickens and having probably over 100 different breeds over the years I've never seen a breed of rooster that was as friendly and overall a perfect rooster.
I'm not a fan of trying to have roosters as "pets" but this breed won't have it any other way. I had a couple roosters but one in particular was my buddy from day one until we lost him about 3 years later.
I couldn't do anything out doors without his involvement or at least close supervision. I can't tell you how many times he ended up with paint on himself. His favorite was getting in the middle of anything I was trying to paint.
I also remember I always had to keep a watchful eye for him when I pulled in, parked and hopped out of the truck because he was always chasing the truck and standing next to the door when I got home and out of the truck.
I had heard they were known as the friendliest breed of chicken. Back then I did get a little irritated at times cause he was always under foot but now I kinda miss it at times.
I highly recommend the breed to anyone that are new to birds and looking for a first good rooster.
That is truly an amazing testament to an amazing breed thank you I can tell it really touched your heart.

My best boys all around have been my English Orpingtons and my silkies. Worst have been Silver Laced Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom