? Best show breeds and how to get started?

RGChicken

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
I have been thinking of getting into showing chickens. I was thinking of getting two bantam hens and keeping them in an outdoor rabbit hutch and a run. I'm not sure if having only two is enough for the birds' well-being, and I'm not sure how I should raise them. Is raising show hens different then raising laying hens? I've never had bantams before, do they require special care? How do I get into the "show business?" Which bantam breed is the most docile and best for showing? Any help is appreciated. :)
-A confused newbie

Chickens are chickens regardless of size. Other than the really small (think Seramas) no unusual care is necessary. Go to a show. Look at all of the breeds and pick the one that you most like. Buy from a successful breeder and enlist them as a mentor. Good luck.
:goodpost:

Another note on breeds: I honestly can't note too much difference between any of them in terms of temperament. Any chicken can be tamed with enough work. Even, say, Leghorns---they have a repute as an unfriendly and skittish bird.

Chickens are chickens regardless of size. Other than the really small (think Seramas) no unusual care is necessary. Go to a show. Look at all of the breeds and pick the one that you most like. Buy from a successful breeder and enlist them as a mentor. Good luck.
This is the thing to do. Going to a show will help you meet a lot of people and you will gain a lot of knowledge

The most docile breed is generally noted to be either a silkie or a cochin bantam. And yes, they're fine with two of them. The problem is when you have one (lonely) or three (two gang up on the one designated to be lowest in the pecking order.)

And yes, showing birds is slightly different from having laying birds--you have to train them to be docile and somewhat showy (at least according to the OEGB site) But as the above experts said--it's not that different.

Go to a show. You should enjoy it.

Pick an all black or all white breed.
Buy your birds from an ABA Hall of Fame breeder. Pay top money and don't dicker on the price. You can find Hall of Fame and Master Breeders at the American Bantam Association website.
Best,
Karen

Pick an all black or all white breed.
Buy your birds from an ABA Hall of Fame breeder. Pay top money and don't dicker on the price. You can find Hall of Fame and Master Breeders at the American Bantam Association website.
Best,
Karen

I know people say to pick an all white or black breed, but as long as they start with good birds, that are linebred, they should be ok. My son does well showing, and I don't think he has shown a solid white or black bird yet. People talk about how much breeder and show quality birds are, and maybe i am fortunate, but I have found they tend to be cheaper than others. Granted, some master breeders do not sell at all. I would look around to see what birds interest me. I would then go to shows (more than one), and see what is there, and what is doing well. You may even change what you are looking for after seeing birds in person. Find the breeder of the birds you like the best, and go from there.

Last edited:
IMO whites and blacks are not that easy also. Whites take a lot of show prep if not housed properly. And blacks can have lots of problems, red leakage, white feathers, loss of sheem etc

I say go with whatever you think fits you best, and make sure you have a mentor, or someone you can easily reach to help you along the way. I have LF Blue and Black Cochins and I just found a mentor this last weekend, this May it will be 2 years since I started, and it is very nice being able to call and ask questions

People who don't show typically tell people to start with black or white varieties, because you don't have to worry about shades and patterns. I think people are better off getting what they want to start with, instead of starting with one variety, and abandoning the variety, and maybe the fancy entirely, in a few years. Colors and patterns are mainly a problem if you take the other popular piece of advice and ignore color and pattern and look only at size and type in the beginning. People need to look at the whole bird, and cull harder. In time, the quality of birds will be much better than if we continue like we are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom