Best source for PRINTER INK CARTRIDGES ???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] This whole business is driving me absolutely nuts!!! [​IMG]

I need my more technologically skilled chicken buds to help me here. I recently bought a basic HP 4-in-one printer for use at home, for printing about a dozen or so pages per week of miscellaneous stuff from the internet. I've already gone through the starter cartridge of black ink. And now need to know WHERE is the BEST PLACE to buy the replacement cartridges, and WHAT KIND is the BEST DEAL???

It's all so confusing to me. Should I get the brand name or the generic ones from the big-box office supply stores? Order online or buy in person? Get the cartridges refilled or buy brand-new each time? Buy the regular or extra-large sizes? Economy is reallyreallyreally important to me right now, but if a cheap or refilled cartridge will ruin my printer then it's not worth it. I think that's what caused my last printer to jam, getting the cartridge refilled.
    [​IMG] PLEASE help me out with this!!! I know a lot about chickens, but computers, not so much. Thank you!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have an ancient HP printer- once I finished the starter ones, I found some generics at Office Depot, on sale. Got those and found a refill kit at Costco for $20.00. I've been refilling them for years now and still have plenty of ink left for more refills! [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My dad used to refill his own cartridges using some kit he got, but that was years ago. I wonder if this practice works better on older printers, and if the newer ones are somehow tweaked so that it's not as easy to refill them. Someone at the Office Depot was telling me that sometimes the cartridges can be successfully filled, sometimes not. That sometimes the off-brand inks can cause the printers to not work as well. I know that when we've taken cartridges to be filled that sometimes it's successful and sometimes it's not. And after we had the cartridges refilled in our last printer it wouldn't work right.

So that's why I'm asking around now to see what other folks are doing to keep their printers in ink without breaking the bank.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I rarely print stuff, but I have bought ink cartridges.

Staples and I'm sure other stores offer a discount if you bring in your empty cartridges.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by