Best State for ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1duckychick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    So I have finally had it with living in New England and am planning on moving to a snow-free state (preferrably one that doesn't hit 90+ in the summer!). I figured since there are so many duck-people from so many places on here, I could get some good info to help in the decision making process. I'm hoping to get some info and personal opinions from all you non-New Englanders regarding the best states/towns to live with ducks. I have 4 now but am planning on expanding to maybe 10-15.

Suggestions of places to avoid would also be welcomed!

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in florida very warm and snow free city that city is jacksonville florida thats were i live and you could live on a nice lake with cool ducks that fly down from the cold states in the winter. and is a great place to raise ducks!!! if u want a good neighborhood live in ''Osprey Point'' it would be nice for another duck person to live in the same neighborhood but anywere is good in florida! especially jacksonville! tell were youll go! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    We can brood Ducklings outside in the summer here! [​IMG]

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Well dont move to SC...you will sweat to heath in the humidity we have here. I hate it.

5. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

You might look into Oregon. When the local university team are known as the Ducks it says a little about the climate......

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Northern Ohio isn't much better than yours. It has been really cold here. [​IMG]

7. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    The fact that Holderreads is based in oregon tells you something too.

8. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    I've never even considered Oregon before. I guess I'll have to give it a look! Florida, Cali, and NC have been the front-runners with Arizona, SC and Texas trailing close behind. Bummed to hear that SC is really humid - major drawback (for me - not sure how the ducks feel about it [​IMG])

Honestly, Cali seems to have all the pro's with the only con being those pesky little earthquakes [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Such low humidity here....its horrible...

[​IMG]

10. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:How 'bout 115°? [​IMG]

[​IMG] The occasional quakes aren't that bad...and the good thing (in your opinion LOL) is that it never gets below like 45° in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by