Best stealth chickens

Quote:
The Black Austrolorpe comes from two chickens and one is the Buff Orpington. So it is likely that the BO would be a quiet bird. Like the Aussies, they are very sweet natured. I think the Aussies are better egg layers. Not sure which has a longer productive life tho. BA are very good wintertime layers too.
lol.png

My vote is w/ the BA, too. I have one that never talks louder than a quiet coo. Plus I think she prefers confinement to being out free ranging w/ the others. She lives by herself inside because she will literally sit in a corner and let the others peck out all her feathers when I put her into the gen population. When I take her out w/ the others to free range she hides underfoot. She lives in a big tote bucket w/ layer pellets and water and goes out w/ me when I work in the yard- she gets all the worms I dig up. I don't even put a top on the bucket- she never tries to get out- just looks over the top when I go in the barn. I keep thinking she would be perfect for a stealth poultry project for someone in town w/ close neighbors because no one would ever know she was there. I wish she would stick up for herself so she could go back out w/ the others! Definitely NOT the polish or the leghorn hens! They are the loudest in my flock of 19!

Hey, Indyegg.
welcome-byc.gif
One of my aussies is the flock sheriff. She will stretch to her full height and get between any two that are fighting. She will stick out her chest and bump one of the two backwards and stare her down until she turns away. I have witnessed it twice. I call her the sheriff. They are so quiet and extra sweet too. We have only one of 5 that is a pet. It is not the sheriff tho. This one will hop up into our lap if we sit in the run and settle down for a nap. Other 4 including sheriff are extra shy.

BTW, my daughter lives a little north of Noblesville. If you sell eggs, I may be able to send you a customer. You can PM me or whatever.

Gerry
cool.png

Quote:
Nooooo! Not the trash can coop!! Honestly, how can a hen be happy in that? Get me one made from a 1/2 ton rolloff container.. THEN we are talking.

BTW.. if you want stealth (or ninja for that matter) DON'T get a Welsummer... oh, my Wellies complain all day long. Not loud, but continuously.

Back
Top Bottom