Best stealth chickens

LOL... Reminds me of a time I got dragged out to a dance club. Ended up testing a friend that was sitting next to me because it was so loud. Of course, bio feedback response is delayed, lol.

Quote:
Horizonson (David) is correct. Stealth chickens on this forum refers to those raised at locations where they are illegal. Quiet chooks like Black Aussies lend themselves well to stealth chicken-raising. Still, you have to camoflage your coop well, make sure the place is not junky which could attract complaints. Then sometimes, you still have to bribe next-door neighbors with eggs to boot, just to keep from being reported, according to numerous posts I have read on this subject on this forum.

I am not faced with that dilemma, but only wanted to start a thread that could educate those who are thinking of starting up a stealth op.
cool.png

This is very good to know. WE want to move to a community that doesnt allow chickens ( I know why move there??)
anyway, I have a RIR and black sex link that squawk all the time. My EE and frizzles are quiet. I also just got bantum Brahma and Bantum Cochin.
I am going to replace with bantum's so they dont need as much room.

We give most of our eggs away, so the girls are my pets, bantum eggs would be fine for us.

Quote:
My biggest noisemaker is a golden comet. She just Bawks and bawks over and over again when we are out there with the chooks. Sometimes they are so excited that we are both there together that several of them chime in and really talk to us. It is really hilarious to us since we live out in the country and no one is here to hear it anyway. The Rhodies are noisy too. I think the quietest ones are the Aussies, followed by the Rocks. The Aussies and some rocks often sound like pigeons cooing if they are on a nest. We have one Rhodie that we call 'Little Red'. She is among the smallest chook we have, and very sweet and shy. Quiet too. She does not come around to be held during daylight, yet at dusk she often meets my wife at the gate to be picked up and carried to her roost. She waits by the pop door for Kathy and when she spots her, she runs to her and squats, waiting for her ride, to be tucked in on the roost with her flock-mates.
lol.png

Last edited:
I have 3 BA's, and now that you mention it, I don't recall their ever making noise. I must agree though that a BA roo is loud as heck. If you got one by mistake you'd sure have to get rid of him early. I miss my BA roo....

I have a totally mixed flock and 1 bird I thought was a bantam campine but I don't think she is pure I have never heard a loud sqwak out of her but I only have 1 of her so who knows the rest of her breed sounds like.

Well they are not great "pets" because of thier purpose, but my CornishXRock broilers are very quiet and tame.... It seems like all they do is eat and sleep. They also don't need much coop room or roosts because they rarely venture far from the feeder. OK with me though, because they grow so fast!! Like I said, probably not the best pet, but a very productive breed for thier purpose.

thanks for this thread! i will definitely have to keep the BA in mind should my lil' illegal operation here ever blow up. right now i only have 4 girls and all is well! SO well in fact, that i have more in the bator and more chicks coming this spring. my flock will probably increase from 4 to about 12. and right now i'm big on finding different breeds that lay different colored eggs, anywhere from dark brown, lt brown, the EE, and even white eggs. i AM trying to consider quiet breeds....and i think i have for the most part, but i decided to take a chance and go ahead and get ONE white leghorn. i will spend a lot of time with it, clip it's wing....etc...and
fl.gif
that she won't be loud. if she is, i have a friend that has a farm. still, i want it to work. but like i said, i will definitely consider the BA for the future if need be. i almost ordered one for the spring, but opted for the BJG instead (i love big breeds). they should make a video with that song "I like big butts and i cannot lie!" with chickens starring in it!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom