Best tools for cleaning run with sand

Amicusrose

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2022
Birmingham, AL
For people who use sand in their chicken run, what is your go-to tool for cleaning the poop? I got a small rake, but the poop is small and goes through the spaces between the tines.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a stall rake with 1/4" hardware cloth attached with zip ties. I use the rake to scrape most of the poop into a pile and scoop the pile onto the mesh for sifting using a small shovel. I can scoop and sift with the rake if the sand is fluffy, but more often than not it is somewhat compacted, so that method doesn't work very well😕

I used a small plastic kitty shovel for my poop board (which is covered with sand and PDZ). Once a week I will use a kitchen skimmer (they come in different size mesh) to "catch" the smaller stuff. For the floor of the coop which is sand I use a metal kitty shovel with telescope handle. The poop on the floor in minimal as the girls are outside most of the day and the boards get the droppings at night. Picked up most of the items on Amazon. It only takes me 5 - 10 minutes the most. 9 hens, 8x8 shed. I have the sifting shovel with holes...pricey but worth it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom