Best unique egg laying chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TNBlacktails, Jan 18, 2013.

1. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    This summer Ill be getting another hen or 2 for eggs and breeding what would be the best breed to get thats unique such as silkie polish .. etc

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, I'm pretty partial to Silkies myself. They're are very unique, usually have great dispositions (there are mean individuals in every breed though), and make great mothers. Most would say if you're looking for egg production then don't pick and ornamental breed, but mine lay very well. I'm sure when Spring rolls around and they start going broody that will change though. I've always had a soft spot for Cochins too (especially the frizzled ones) they pretty much have the same tendencies as Silkies, but are smooth feathers and aren't crested, so they're a little hardier and aren't blinded by their own feathers. Good luck picking your new breed!
    Nikki

3. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    I like silkies but I also am already planned on getting an americauna. I may get a silkie just to have 1 so ony time will tell . Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by